Visitor visa renewal for parents - DS-160 questions

curious80

My parents are applying for visitor visa renewal at the Mumbai consulate. Their previous visas (granted: August 2006, expired: August 2016) were marked as B1/B2.

It seems like my parents qualify for an interview waiver (but still need to have fingerprints collected), given the criteria specified here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp.

I had a few questions on how to fill out form DS-160:

• Should my parents apply for a B2 visa, or B1/B2? The purpose of their trip is tourism, not business. However, their previous visas were marked as B1/B2, and my understanding is that the new visa should be in the same class as the previous visa, to qualify for interview waiver.
  • Would it help with my parents’ approval odds if they mention that they are paying for the trip themselves, and not I? They are retired; however they have a regular cash flow and assets/property in India.
  • Are supporting documents (invitation letter from me, proof of assets/property) required, given that my parents qualify for an interview waiver?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 11:18 AM, JoeF said:

The visa is always B1/B2, even if the person only applies for a tourism visa.

Thank you! Does that mean they should apply for B1/B2, so they can qualify for the interview waiver, or can they apply for just a B2 and still qualify?

Also, any thoughts or suggestions on the other questions?

• 3 years later...