Availing Emergency Medi-Cal in the State of California and I485

ARHOPE

Hello,

I am a naturalized citizen living in the state of California. I was in the process of filing a green card petition (via concurrent filing process) for my father when emergency struck. He was hospitalized and underwent emergency medical treatment in the state of California. As advised by the hospital case worker, since my father was anyways looking to reside permanently in the state of California, we are looking to apply and hopefully avail expedited Medi-cal (http://www.medi-cal.ca.gov/ -  a State of California health benefit for residents of California) to help with the emergency hospital bills and future outpatient services. If approved, Medi-Cal will cover both his emergency and future outpatient medical bills.

So, I am looking to start the green card process back up again, and wondering how to respond to the I485 question: " have you received public assistance in the United States from any source including US government, state, county, municipality (other than emergency services) OR do you intent to do so in future"?

I understand Medi-cal is NOT deemed "public charge". However, is Medi-cal deemed "public assistance"? In other words,  can I say "NO" to the above question in I485?

I'd greatly appreciate a response.

Thanks,
Archana

• 1 month later...

Archived