Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About dele

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  1. If you're referring to AOS, then you have to be in the country when it is filed. It is called AOS because you're already in the country on a different immigration status. If you're outside the country, the lawyers have to file a different document for you.
  2. Hi folks, With an EB2 green card, can you 1) a) Quit your job and start your own business? b) If yes, does it have to be in the same domain/field in which your EB2 green card was granted? c) If yes, does it also have to be the same type of job? For example if you were a software engineer, can you start your own marketing firm targeted at the same market where you were working as a software engineer? 2) Quit your job and take an extended vacation (i.e. don't work for a few months which would be the equivalent of taking an unpaid vacation from work)? Thanks
  3. When you say your GC (documents) is being processed, are you talking about PERM or AOS (i.e. 485). As far as I'm aware, there is no restriction on travelling while PERM application is being prepared or processed. I traveled internationally both when my PERM was being prepared and after it was submitted. In fact, I went for my H1B stamping while my PERM documents were still being prepared.
  4. It is a legitimate step. A general summary of the steps involved for EB 2 & 3 (employment based) green card is 1) Your company files for a wage determination. This basically means getting an official confirmation from the government on what the minimum pay for the job that 'they are trying to hire you into' should be. In some cases the company might have to first file for job classification. 2) Your company advertises for the job (for a given length of time), interviews any potential candidates and documents the results. If there is no qualifying candidate, then they prepare a report and wait for a month (called quiet period or something like that) before filing the documents.
  5. 1) First confirm from the specific consulate/embassy that they offer stamping services for folks who are not citizens/permanent residents of that country. 2) If they do, then stamping in that city or India all depends on you. Typically, people are advised to return to their home country for stamping. The theory is that consulate officers in your home country are better able to understand/interpret your degrees (assuming your H1B was filed on the basis of a degree that was obtained outside of the US). But it doesn't mean you can't still 'try your luck'. I did my stamping in Vancouver a few years ago. I have a graduate degree from a US University but my H1B was filed on the basis of my undergraduate degree which was obtained outside the US (my company offered me a job and filed for my H1B before I received my graduate degree). I didn't have any problem during my stamping. I'm not Indian but I saw some folks from India who were in the same boat as me and had a successful stamping experience.
  6. Typically, the earlier you can apply for your Green Card, the better off you are. However, you should also consider the job requirements on whose basis the green card will be filed (this will determine if it will be EB2 or EB3) and your country of chargeability. But even with all that, you should also consider the job itself - do you like it or is it something you can endure? People don't talk about this but you don't want to spend years in a job that you hate just because you're waiting for your green card..
  7. dele

    Nice hotel around Vancouver embassy?

    1) Use tripadvisor.com to find hotels located in Vancouver (close to where the consulate is) and pick a hotel that fits your budget 2) Try Day's Inn on W.Pender (it's about 15 mins walk from the consulate) 3) You can also try priceline 'name your price'
  8. dele

    Canada Visa period

    I applied for a (multiple-entry) visa in 2011 for tourism and I got a 3 year visa
  9. dele

    H1B Stamping Question

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your certificate simply says Masters in Business Administration (my understanding is that MBA certificates don't carry the person's specialization). If that is the case, then you really shouldn't have a problem (I have assumed your worry is linking 'international trade' to health care), you can simply explain how the classes you took in Business Administration help you in your current job of a business analyst. MBA students take classes on strategy, sales/marketing, product analysis, risk analysis, optimization (either to minimize costs or maximize profits/benefits), etc. How do any/all of these come into play in your current job?
  10. Your experience letter should show you have the the skills and the degree of expertise listed in the job advert. In the example you gave, your experience letter should show you are highly proficient in Database design, Star schema, etc
  11. 1) Was your H1B filed using your Master's degree? If it was filed on the basis of your Bachelor's degree and your Bachelors degree was in computer science, then you have no problem. 2) Assuming your H1B was filed based on your Master's degree, the next thing to be considered is - what kind of software do you work on? If you develop software for the electrical industry or you work on software that 'somehow' touches the area you specialized in while doing your masters, then you should have no problem (you'll have to explain the relationship to the VO). For example, I know someone who has a Masters in Nuclear Engineering (some of his courses were on reducing power loss while power is being transmitted). Today, he works in the power industry and basically writes software dealing with power optimization.
  12. 1) Is your visa stamp expiration date the same as your H1-B Petition Approval expiration date? Sometimes it is not and the H1-B Expiration date is added as a note to your visa which means your current worry is a non-issue. 2) Secondly, I don't believe there is anything wrong in entering the US with a visa which is only valid for the next 7 days. You only fall afoul of the law when the visa has expired and you don't have any other legal immigration state.
  13. dele

    US consulates and US Degree

    Typically, border immigration posts advice people to return to their home country for H1B visa applications. The theory is that the immigration officials in your home country are more conversant with the degrees/certificates awarded and can evaluate it better. In my own case, my undergrad degree was from my home country while my masters degree was from the US. However, since my company filed for my H1B before I graduated (which means I hadn't received my Masters) they used my Bachelors degree in the filing. I did both of my visa stamping in Canada. For my first stamping, the VO asked where I did my masters. During my second stamping, no question was asked about my degree
  14. dele

    Specific question for Visa application

    The key word is 'and'. You meet the first condition but not the second so your answer should be 'No'