Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral


  • Rank
  1. Background: We claimed our landing in US (drove in) as permanent residents in Feb 2011 and came back to Canada the following day. I need to prolong my stay in Canada because of more than 1 reasons (job commitment, citizenship application, and early mortgage termination clause with the mortgage company). Hence I am considering applying for I-131 Re-entry Permit. It was employer sponsored immigration. I was with the same employer under H1 for several years. (I guess I need to first of check with the employer if he is going to let me stay in Canada for another year) Few Questions for Experts/Experienced personnel: - The I-131 instruction Handout states that: "If you stay outside US for less than 1 year, you are not required to apply for Re-entry Permit."As I am so close to US (few hours away from the border), do I need to apply for Re-Entry Permit. The only reason I was thinking of this was so that I don't have any unexpected questions/issue thrown to me at the time of crossing the border (as I won't be working for the employer who sponsored me). - Could you guys provide me a timeline on how much time the Biometrics appointment letter takes to come in if I file an Expedite Request? - The instruction sheet also mentions that "... if an applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied". Does that really mean that I can't come into US, file the application, go back to Canada and fly in again for Biometrics? - My final home base is the Washington DC/Virginia area. Could I file for the I-131 in California and appear for the Biometrics in California or any other state closer to Canada? - Do I need to file an application for 1 year child as well? I presume so... - Is I-551 same as the Green Card? - Should I forget about I-131 altogether and think about applying for Returning Resident's Visa from the US Embassy (when I am ready to move)? Thanks!!!! Sam