My case is also very similar to yours I guess. I am working as a FTE with a company having >50k employees and with revenues in billions. I went to the US on F1 Visa and after completing my masters I joined a small company in Dallas ( but my job was fulltime and it was related to my masters). I worked there for 18 months and then transfered to my present company 6 months back. I attended the VI on 22nd Feb, 2012 at Hyderabad. This is how the interview went:
VO: Please pass your documents
Me: Passed the documents and exchanged the pleasentries
VO: Where do you work
VO: Is that company your employer
VO: What is your title? Explain what you do
VO: Give me your W-2 form. ( This was the only document which he asked and checked during the interview)
Me: I passed on both the W-2 forms ( from my previous employer and present employer)
VO: What is your salary at your present employer?
VO: Where did you do your masters?
VO: So, you are a sooner?
Me: No, I am a cowboy ( Sooner is the Football team of another university in the state in which I did my masters. Sooners and Cowboys are kind of arch-rivals in sports)
VO: Oh yes. Fine. Your case would require further admin processing. Your H1-B is approved but we would need further administration processing and it may take 2-3 weeks.
VO then asked me for an email id which i would be checking regularly and said that he is sending me a questionnaire and that I need to fill up the questionnaire and send it as soon as possible and the processing will start as soon as they recieve the filled up questionaire. Then he gave me a white form (but didn't specify a case number) and checked the box which says that you will recieve further instruction in an email. I recieved that email and it has a questionnaire and asks me to send some documents like resume, invitation letter and supplementary material.
When he gave me the white form I saw that he didnt specify the case number. So, I asked if I will be given some case number in order to correspond through emails. He said case number is not needed just specify your passport number. He kept my passport with him. Thats the only document he kept with himself.
The questionnaire has basic questions like my bio, itinerary, sponsors information, US Contact, Educational information, Academic advisor etc. The email also asks me to send recent resume in text format, scanned copies of invitation letter in pdf format, scanned copies of supplementary material like invitation letter, transcripts and research/publications in pdf format.
So, my questions now:
1. Our cases seems very similar except that he didnt specify a case number for me. What is the difference in forms with case number and without case numbers? Even though the VO said that just specifying the passport number is fine, the email which I got says that I should specify both the passport number and case number in subject line for future correspondences.
2. What is an invitation letter? Is it the letter of employment from the company? or the offer letter? Should the invitation letter include job duties? My letter of employment which my manager gave me before coming to India doesn't include the job details and neither does the offer letter. The letter from my employer to USCIS in the petition process(LCA) contains the job details ( This letter was submitted as part of the advance document submission. So, what should be sent as the invitation letter? I am sorry but I am not aware of the jargon.
3. He mentioned that my Visa is approved but we need further administration processing in this case. Do they always say that the Visa is approved when giving away the 221(g) form?
4. What can be sent as supplementary material? I am planning on sending transcripts, invitation letter and a publication I have from a Global Users conference of the technology we use in the job. Do I need to send something else?
5. I have a comman muslim name. My friends say that it might have been the issue. Can that be the case because I see that everything else looks fine in my case.
6. How long exactly did it take in your case to get the passport back with visa stamped on it?
Thanks for helping me out with my queries.