Travel abroad while N-400 in process

oorja75

Hello All,

I am currently eligible to apply for citizenship (via 90-day rule) but wont be eligible to take oath until after July 20th.

Never been out of country for more than 30 days in a single trip and have been outside USA for 86 days total since July 20th 2011 when I became PR.

My question is, I have family visiting for summer vacation and would like to take them on a 3 day cruise to Mexico sometime mid-July. 

Is it advisable to make this trip?

I am aware that I need to be available for Biometrics or any other naturalization procedures; and would ensure the trip doesn't clash with those critical processes.

Also, on the day of the interview will I have to fill out any amendment to the application to list this additional trip that occurred after N-400 was filed?

Kindly advise

• 4 weeks later...

Guys - my wife went for citizenship interview today. We made international trips after we filed the N-400 application. Seeing that, they said they will not be able to make a decision today at the interview. They said it will take more time to process the application.

Also, the officer asked if my wife got any citations after the application was filed. She mentioned about a traffic ticket.

Not sure if it is coz of the travel or ticket or both. It took 9 months to process our application and now they are going for additional checks, not sure how much time this would essentially take. I hope its not another 9 months from here.

Archived