H1B Stamping - Dropbox Option Eligibility - Processing Time

Samik

H1B visa was stamped on my passport in Jun 2014, at US Consulate, Mumbai, India, for employer A.

Recently, I changed employer from employer A to employer B.

I also got new Indian passport from Indian Embassy, Houston, TX, USA. 

Old passport still has H1B visa valid till Nov-2016.

I am planning for India trip in Jun-2015 as well as in Dec-2016.

I am planning to go for visa stamping during my Jun-2015 visit.

Am I eligible for dropbox-interview waiver program? Is it better to got for dropbox or regular interview process?

Is processign time same for both these processes?

-I have no refusals for a visa in any category

-My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received”

You are most probably eligible for drop box. The best way to find out is simply to answer all the questions on the visa website (after submitting DS160 and paying fees). At the appointment request stage itself you will be asked to answer a series of questions which will determine whether you are eligible for drop box.

Whether or not the drop box process is better is hard to answer: If the consulate decides to call you for an interview even after submitting your documents via drop-box, then you will potentially lose time from your vacation. The processing time is same for both ie 2-3 days after approval.

***This actually happened to me in late 2015: I work in Aerospace and the consulate asked me to appear for interview. By the time they completed security check which only took 3 days, I had missed my flight back because I lost time between drop box and interview.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"the consulate asked me to appear for interview. By the time they completed security check which only took 3 days, I had missed my flight back because I lost time between drop box and interview.

"@rksingh - How were you able to schedule your interview then?

I did not have to...the blue slip attached to my passport simply said "Please appear for interview any day before 10am"...so I basically walked up and joined the line outside New Delhi consulate.

Archived