Drastic change of career after getting GC through self-petitioned EB2 NIW

Hi, I have a question. I got my green card through self-petitioned EB-2 NIW way based on my qualifications and experience in scientific research at the time. After getting GC I continued to work in scientific research for about 2.5 years and then I quit it because funding situation got really bad and job prospects were scarce. I ventured into completely different field, which has nothing to do with what I used to do (retail and I also started my own business unrelated to my previous profession). Now, it is time for me to apply for naturalization and I am thinking if it is going to be a problem that I changed my career so drastically. I have read some guidelines and many of them suggest that one should continue the career in the same area for which that person got NIW GC. Here are my questions:

1. Is it really true? I can hardly believe that I should be locked in some career choice for life. What do you think?

2. Can they take my GC away if I apply for naturalization and they did not like the fact I no longer work in the same area? Are there known precedents like that?

3. Should I then get a lawyer involved? Should I try doing it without lawyer first to save money and only involve one if it becomes a problem? Or should I better bring a lawyer with me to the interview in case they try to take my GC away immediately during the interview? Can they do it?

If it helps, all the other requirements are met - physical residency, filing taxes regularly, owning a property, etc. I am just interested what are my options in this situation?

• 1 year later...

Similar issue. I was fired right after (about 2 weeks) I got my GC. After more than 1 year no job at all. Applied for graduate school in the field (environmental studies) and faced humiliations and no admission.  No opportunities in consulting either.  My understanding is that my application at NIW (EB2) is genuine at that time and should not be a problem at naturalization. It is genuine as I submitted. I am 55 and that should say. The only interest I seem getting is from Theological Seminaries.  I am excited at the prospect of ministry to India (few months a year in India - field work). Are there any concerns? Any experiences to share? Thanks

I am 55 and though well qualified, simply not getting any jobs at any level in my field (several wonderful interviews, but always seemingly a much younger person getting the job). I went to India for 4 months and returned. I have been unemployed for one and half years and may be receiving subsidized insurance and/ or extended medicare since I have no income. I came to USA in 1992 as student and got my Forestry Degree. Had a good and rewarding career in Natural Resources (forestry and environment), Those were the good days and any college degree put you in some good Job. By the time I realized that I need Permanent Residency due to marriage, children and divorce the easy days are gone. I was fortunate have an company sponsor me for EB3 very late in the game and after 2007 faux pause, I was on EAD. Then laid off followed by 2 jobs that I was fired successively. I was insecure all along as I was in the waiting mode (physician wife did not do any immigration for me) and the possibility of having to leave USA and losing my children. Murthy team not only helped me in these matters but also gave compassionate advise and direction. All along I missed opportunities to apply for Green Card based on NIW . Noticing the EB3 delays I applied for NIW  very late and was pleasantly surprised at the approval (I did have exceptional achievements in the filed of natural resources) . After Green Card, I got cocky at work and was booted out. I am not getting admission into any Graduate Programs in Universities - lot of run around  but no result so far. Seminaries are the only ones showing any interest in me. On learning that I have Green card, they seem to show even more interest. My passion is ministry in India - Peace, Justice and Environment. I have no clue if that ambition will even materialize or get a Seminary admission. I have at least 3 and half years to go.  

Like every one else I am a bit concerned even though I consulted Murthy team many months and received the OK . I will update on developments.

Thanks for the response ...

Archived