Can Only the President Fix I-94 Departure Errors?

kumar.guputa

Hi all

There are three departure errors on my I-94. One shows an exit that never happened and no port (as a result I wasn't approved for COS to H1B and came back after stamping); another has a port of departure wrong; and the third doesn't show a departure that actually took place. Basically, this error makes my absence from the country seem like >7 months when in actuality it was <2 months. All arrivals are correct.

Now, the most peculiar situation is that I have tried everything to get it fixed but apparently no one in America but the President seems to have the power to fix a departure error. I went to an immigration attorney who told me to go to my local CBP office, which directed me to USCIS; USCIS directed me back to local CBP who told me to call the field CBP office in Houston; they never pick up nor ever have space for voicemail, so I bloody travel there only to be told I should send an email to a certain address with the proof; I do that but get a response that I need to contact Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) for all such inquiries and this can't be done over email; FOIA only allows me to ask questions about travel history, not how to correct it. It's been two months, a lot of time, patience, and money since I have been trying to sort this issue out but no one knows how to (or doesn't want to) fix a departure error :|

Does anyone here know the correct way to get it fixed or have ever encountered and was successful at getting a departure error corrected? I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Kumar

In addition to what pontevecchio said, the President really has more pressing things to do that caring about one person's I-94.

Where in the world did you get the idea that the President would have to get involved?

Me thinks you need to calm down and assess things before going on a wild goose chase.

Because I'm thinking of joining a US military program. To be eligible, they require you to be in the States since two consecutive years, with no absence lasting longer than 60 days. Thanks to that inconvenient error, my absence appears to be more than 210 days. When they check my I-94, they may not necessarily ask me why this was the case and it may lead to automatic rejection, so I need to be safe. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

It is well known that the travel history details on the online I94 page are seldom accurate, In fact the CBP itself has a disclaimer right at the bottom of the travel history page " Please be advised that CBP documents travel from a variety of sources. The travel history provided on this website is only a tool to assist the public and is not an official record for legal purpose........"

As the other advanced members have replied, your confirmed itinerary, boarding passes, stamps in passport etc are sufficient proof of your travel/stay.

BTW For anyone else reading this reply: It is good practice to retain (or scan and save) your boarding passes since stamps in passports can sometimes be illegible. It is very useful for people in H1B who are trying to recapture time spent abroad.

Archived