Employment based vs. marriage based GC

Hi all,

I'm currently in the US on L1B visa, which will expire in November 2018. My company has agreed to sponsor my GC in early 2018 as long as they are happy with my performance. Should I wait until then or should I have my husband, who is holding conditional GC to sponsor me now? And approximately how long would each process take? 

Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...

No one can hold conditional GC unless he is currently married to US citizen or Entrepreneur GC. Filing GC thru marriage will be faster process although it will cost money. 

Employer will file GC in early 2018, but it's no guarantee - it can change based on company financial situation that time. Smart decision will be to file through marriage, but conditional GC holders can't file GC for others. They need to remove condition and then file for GC. 

Many thanks for the replies above. It's true that employment route may not work if their financial situation gone bad or simply stricter immigration regulation later on. How many years are we looking at approximately if he sponsors me as a GC holder? And what are the factors that affect this timeline? 

Archived