New I-94 for B1/B2 Visitor in USA

lovely

Hello Everyone,

My parents currently in US are eligible to stay until March-03-2016. (I-94), B1/B2 visa valid for 5+ years

So my questions are:

1. Can we leave US via flight or walk across Mexico border and return same day and obtain new I-94 for an extended stay?

2. Can a B1/B2 Visitor (for pleasure) travel to Mexico without Mexico visa?

3. What are the pros & cons of returning same day to US from Mexico?

The idea is to stay for an additional 3months as the initial I-94 would expire 3rd March 2016.

We would like to get new I-94 prior to March-03-2016 and change return flight.

Your suggestions are appreciated, we do not want to do anything out of normal.

Thanks in Advance.

Concur with all above opinions .. A 'visitor' cannot get a new I-94 by walking across the border and back. The immigration officer is gonna take a very dim view of such an attempt and could cancel the visa altogether .

Only way is file for extension but chances of that getting approved are close to zero unless there is some real emergency like a medical issue which prohibits travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone, for your advice now I have couple of additional questions.

We decided to travel as planned within 6months of actual arrival in March-03-2016.

How long are they supposed to stay out of US to be able to re-enter for a 6month stay next time? Could you please let me know the shortest stay out of US so we can have a valid re-entry without any issues. They were here in Sep-14-2015 and leaving March-03-2016, What would be ideal date of arrival for 2016? 

We decided to travel as planned within 6months of actual arrival in March-03-2016.

How long are they supposed to stay out of US to be able to re-enter for a 6month stay next time? Could you please let me know the shortest stay out of US so we can have a valid re-entry without any issues. They were here in Sep-14-2015 and leaving March-03-2016, What would be ideal date of arrival for 2016? 

They need to be more at home than in the US.

THe rule of thumb is to be at least twice as long in the home country as the last visit to the US.

So, if they were in the US for 6 months, they should be in their home country for at least a year before visiting again.

Atleast 6 months. Though it is not mentioned anywhere, its better to spend more time outside the US.

Archived