Driving in Michigan with Indian Driver's License when visiting

Hello!

I intend to visit the US for a month or two on a B1/B2 visia. I am aware that US allows to use Indian Driving license for up-to and it varies depending on the state's laws. I have checked the relevant documentation for Michigan and it looks like India is available in the list: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/reciprocity_chart_20508_7.pdf

My questions are:

1) Is this allowed on B1/B2 visa also?

2) If I visit again later in the year will the 1 year limit start again from the date of entry?

3) Other than the Indian Driving license (it is in English itself) I was told that I should keep a print of i94 with me. How do I get the i-94 when entering on a visit visa as they usually just stamp on the passport.

4) Other than the Indian Driving license and i-94, is there anything else I need to keep?

Please let me know what else should I be aware of when driving in US.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

It is always safer to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your local Motor vehicles department. I94 is no longer attached to passport - you can print online after you land in US. Since you are visiting, at least a copy of your passport is good to have with you.

do note, the driving is on the opposite side here and laws are much stricter. Follow the speed limits (and some states haveDO NOT attempt to bribe a cop if you are stopped - no joke, I have seen folks try that while visiting and getting into an even bigger hole than a minor violation..

Archived