F1 OPT to H4 EAD or H1B?

asabbisetty

Hello,

I graduated with an MBA this May, 2015 and currently on OPT. My OPT will expire on Jun 28, 2016 as there is no OPT extension for MBA. I'm working full time right now. I'm very confused as to what status I have to choose in order to continue working with minimum risk. My company is willing to sponsor me H1B in Apr, 2016. Besides this, I'm also eligible for H4 EAD (My husband's I 140 is approved). 

I need your advice as to which way I can proceed to have a safe bet as H1B would be a lottery in 2016 as well. Is choosing H4 EAD over H1B a good option? If so, how much time would it take to convert to H4 and get it approved? I have read online that I can file H4 COS and H4 EAD at the same time but COS would process first and then EAD would process. During that interim period between COS approval and EAD process, can I continue to work?

Or is H1B better over H4 EAD in order to avoid dependency over my husband?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Thank you for the reply. But my OPT expires in June 2016. So, if I wait till H1B lottery result, there would be an employment gap right? even if I want to apply for COS to H4 EAD, would there be an employment gap?

Really appreciate all your efforts.

In any case, there will be a gap. Its not possible to work continuously if you move from one status to another.

Archived