Returning the physical I-94 card

gmuslglqs

Hi,

I came to US on H1B in October 2014 for Employer A. I printed my online I-94 then and the I-94 was given till July 2016 matching with my H1B visa expiration date. Then I changed my employer to Employer B in December 2014 and the new H1B petition came with a validity date till November 2017. A physical I-94 card also came along with the petition and the validity date of that physical I-94 is till November 2017. Based on my information, the physical I-94 is my current I-94 since that was issued later. However, the online I-94 system still shows the validity till July 2016 reflecting the record that was issued when I entered US on Employer A's petition. I am now planning to go for a short trip to India in January 2017.

My questions -

1) Do I need to get the online record corrected? If yes, how? I contacted CBP by phone and as per my understanding they only correct records that are created at the port of entry.

2) Do I need to return the I-94 physical card while leaving the US at the port of exit? If yes, to whom?

3) When I will re-enter after the trip to India in January 2017, I am planning to use the same visa that would still be valid since the visa validity is till July 2016. I would however request for the I-94 till November 2017 which is the validity of the new petition for my current employer Employer B. Any problems you foresee with that?

Thank you.

Archived