Cpt and opt

Vakri

I have done mAsters in an x university and started pursuing phd immediAtly after that in the same university.

I have taken cpt for the first time in phd and later I facing issues with my professor and tiring to drop it and do another masters .

Am I eligible to apply for cpt in the masters program and apply for opt after that ?

First off, was that legitimate CPT?

For a PhD program, you are supposed to do research, not work. Using CPT during a PhD program looks like fraud.

Second, since your Masters is over, you can't do any CPT for it. CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum, and when you finish a degree, the curriculum is over. And you can't do OPT, either, since you continued to the PhD program.

I am not looking for day one cpt colleges i will do another legit masters course and as i have not applied for opt after my masters, am i elgible for applying the opt afterwards, if i did take cpt (Legit) again in my second masters after taking cpt in a higher level (PHD). or if i dont take cpt in my second masters am i eligible for opt? 

Why i am being  so much interested in doing cpt as it gives an opportunity to do job in my own field and it would add value to my resume to get a job later.

First off, was that legitimate CPT?

For a PhD program, you are supposed to do research, not work. Using CPT during a PhD program looks like fraud.

Second, since your Masters is over, you can't do any CPT for it. CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum, and when you finish a degree, the curriculum is over. And you can't do OPT, either, since you continued to the PhD program.

Looks like that CPT is illegal? Check with an attorney. Are you planning to study or do CPT from day one? If it is the latter then forget your career in US.

I am not looking for day one cpt colleges i will do another legit masters course and as i have not applied for opt after my masters, am i elgible for applying the opt afterwards, if i did take cpt (Legit) again in my second masters after taking cpt in a higher level (PHD). or if i dont take cpt in my second masters am i eligible for opt? 

Why i am being  so much interested in doing cpt as it gives an opportunity to do job in my own field and it would add value to my resume to get a job later.

As JoeF said there is no CPT while doing a PhD. And, OPT is to work in a related field. CPT has has to be an integral part of curriculum. There is a huge difference between CPT and OPT.

On F1, you are supposed to concentrate on studying.

If you want to get work experience during summer recess, that's what pre-completion OPT is for.

CPT is only for required work as integral part of the curriculum, e.g., when a class requires that everybody taking that class does an internship.

Archived