H1b to R1 Visa, how easy is the process?

titaniumx

I am presently on a H1b visa as a software engineer. Once I pay my college debt and save some money I intend to quit my career soon. I look forward to work as a full time volunteer for the church I associate with for rest of my life. I am presently 26 and I am baptized member of the church for past 16 years. If I were accepted I was told by my friends that I may need to get a R1 visa and eventually GC sponsored by church or a marriage with an US citizen.

My church is a non-profit corporation based in United States. It provides free food, accommodation, insurance, and a basic stipend for those full-time volunteers who work in its headquarters.

My question is can I transfer to R1 visa while on H1b without a need to go back to my country? If so what is the process involved, how would be the time frame?

Alternatively, If if I decide to quit/or forced to quit R1 visa in future, how easy would be to get back to H1b? Should I still need to go through lottery process. This is my second year on my initial H1b. 

• 1 year later...

Archived