Applying OCI card with H1 extension receipt ? Is this OK ??

Sirish_N

Hello ,

I'm thinking to apply for OCI card and while going through the terms, I found that one should (for H1 cases) -

1. Have a valid H1 stamp in their passport with an expiry date having at least 2 months or 

2. Valid I 797 Approval notice and I 94

In my case, my H1 expired and filed an extension. My current status is that am awaiting for my H1 extension to be approved. I have a receipt for my extension, and wondering if this document is OK to apply for an OCI card. Thought to know this first before starting the OCI process and wondering if anyone came through this before.

Secondly, if in case I have to travel immediately, is there any Indian visa that could help. Like a "visa on arrival" or emergency visa etc.

Your support or experience would be of great help for me and Thank you for your humble time. Greatly appreciated.!

- Sirish.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a little confused about the question. Can a H1B visa holder or Green Card holder apply for OCI card? I thought you must have previously renounced your Indian citizenship before you can apply for the OCI card (?) E.g. if we take U.S. Citizenship, then we are eligible for OCI card application. At least that was my understanding. Also, the OCI card application web site clearly states that you must send a copy of your foreign passport (U.S passport if we took U.S citizenship) in order for them to process the OCI card application.

Can someone please clarify? I am asking because I will apply for U.S citizenship in April and would like to paralelly apply for OCI card if that is at all possible. Thanks.

Archived