Department of state approval

pdpy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks moormoor. Do you know how did they get a confirmation of their favorable recommendation ? Was it a website update ? My lawyer told me that DOS has been sending favorable recommendation via fax to attorneys as well.

Pdpy -- are u applying through NY conrad? I too am waiting for the DOS approval.

Also, can we legally stay in US after the end of 30 day grace period, and while our application is still pending with DOS?? I will really appreciate if you have any information regarding this! Thanks

There is no premium processing for J1 waivers. You can try to expedite it but the idea paying more money to move it faster doesn't exist.

Premium processing is for H1B.

If you haven't extended J1 visa and it expires, you're illegal 30 days from that date. Pending applications don't account for a legal status.

The DOS received my NOS on May14th and has not even asked for sponsor views yet  (I am funded by US govt). Does anybody know if writing to congressman would expedite the case? Is there any way to expedite the case at all? Would sending a letter from the future employer help?

Thanks moormoor. Do you know how did they get a confirmation of their favorable recommendation ? Was it a website update ? My lawyer told me that DOS has been sending favorable recommendation via fax to attorneys as well.

Their website + email correspondence informed that they had some technical system errors and thus the updates had a lag. They updated my case as received on 26th May and finally gave the Fav Recco on 30th June. And received the letter on 13 July. (I had send the self addressed envelopes with tracking number ).

But no response from USCIS yet (my case is send to Vermont Center).

Does anyone has any idea about the Vermont Service Center processing times ? 

The technical systems error was in the software/hardware of the US embassies worldwide not in DOS office which is in the US.

This is just an excuse they're using. They surely did pause the processing of papers at DOS and USCIS so that the backlog can be cleared.

There's no mention of i612 form in the Vermont website list of approximate times. It's usually 4 months according to that. I've been waiting for three months now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is my timeline:

July 8th - Favorable recommendation from Department of State

July 14th - USCIS-Vermont center received my i-612

July 28th - USCIS-Vermont center update - my name was updated on i-612

Meanwhile, my attorney filed I-129 at USCIS-California center for H1b premium processing, but RFE (request for evidence) was received 15 days after filing i-129 stating that we are suspending the process because your i-612 has not been approved. Please send us the approval of i-612, and we will resume the premium processing.

Anyone in similar boat? Any idea how long does USCIS-Vermont center takes for i-612 approval? 

Btw, I also have seen cases of H1b being granted, and still the i-612 was pending. Not sure, why USCIS is acting differently for similar situations.

Any input is welcome !

Thx

Pdpy, I am in the same situation, my H1B premium application was submitted last week and we are still waiting to see what happens.

Was your H1B for an academic institution and was your J1 waiver based on no objection?

What does your lawyer say and has he ever seen an RFE on H1B because of a pending J1 at USCIS?

Archived