Help - New Green Card AND notice of abandonment! How Can This Be?

MrKai

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or experienced this:

My initial GC expired after 2 years, and I have been going through the renewal process since Sepember 2014. I attended the biometric appointment, then in January USCIS requested further evidence that my marriage was in good faith (I came in on the K1 Fiance visa.)

I returned all the necessary evidence in good time (March), and awaited my green card.

When I checked the online status the USCIS website stated that my new GC was requested on May 7th.

However, I received a letter around 20th May (dated 13th May) stating that due to them not receiving the requested evidence, that my application is now considered abandoned and I was to relinquish my existing GC (which expired in September 2014!)

I called them immediately, and the Customer Service rep told me not to worry, they couldn't see any reference to this letter, and my GC was indeed on its way.

I called them again yesterday to say that my GC had still not arrived and it was now past the 30 day mark.

This time the CSR told me that there was indeed a hold on my application, and the notice of abandonment was the reason.

Due to their own bad advice I have now missed the 30 day period to file an appeal!

I am waiting to hear from them in the next 2 weeks - the CSR I spoke to yesterday said he had requested a case review and until then there was nothing I could do.

How could such contrary and contradicting scenarios occur? If they had never received my evidence then surely the initial confirmation of my new GC would never have been triggered.....

I really hope someone has experience of this nightmare scenario and can allay my fears!

Oh, and the cherry on the cake is that I have just applied and been approved to start a degree course in August, but until this is resolved I cannot prove my permanent resident status, so that process is now on hold too!

Thanks in advance,

Kai.

Archived