PC 488 - petty theft misdemeanor

h1bshoplift

Hi,

I was caught shoplifting in california last week. the LP called the cops and i was given a "notice to appear" with instructions to get "pre-booked". I hired a lawyer and told him the details of my case. He suggested also looping in an immigration lawyer. i have a meeting set with the immigration lawyer and i wanted to know what questions I should be asking the lawyer. Are there any gotchas i need to be aware of?

I have lived in the US for 11 years, without any run in with the law. i don't even have a speeding ticket prior to this. My biggest concern obviously is that i don't want this to affect my stay in this country. i have a family here and i would not know what to do if i'm not alowed to enter the country/deported.

My second concern is about my career. again, prior to this incident, i was on track for a high profile role in my company. how will this affect my career and what can i do to minimize the impact?

Thanks,

-Preeti

hi, its always better to hire an attorney who has knowledge both on criminal and immigration laws. the lesser the amount involved the lesser is the impact on your immigration. try to get this case downgraded to a non criminal offense. I am in the same boat. i was initially charged with shoplifting and later the judge reduced the charges to an ordinance violation which is not a criminal offense. some attorneys say pre trial intervention is good but my attorney informed me that PTE needs guilty plea and does not go well with USCIS. so always better to get the charges reduced to a non criminal offense. talk to your attorney about these things and definitely take help of one attorney who knows both criminal and immigration laws as it would save you both time and money 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I see you had stamping with your background. I had a similar background. I was arrested in 2014 Oct charged with Class B misdemeanor. After that I hired attorney and PTD happened and case was dismissed and my records were expunged. Now I wanted to go for stamping. How did you file the application and what are all details you provided in application and what happened during the interview. Can you please provide me the details, any help will be appreciated and helps me to prepare for it. 

Thanks in advance,

Karan.

On 5/11/2015 at 1:44 PM, h1bshoplift said:

Hi,

I was caught shoplifting in california last week. the LP called the cops and i was given a "notice to appear" with instructions to get "pre-booked". I hired a lawyer and told him the details of my case. He suggested also looping in an immigration lawyer. i have a meeting set with the immigration lawyer and i wanted to know what questions I should be asking the lawyer. Are there any gotchas i need to be aware of?

I have lived in the US for 11 years, without any run in with the law. i don't even have a speeding ticket prior to this. My biggest concern obviously is that i don't want this to affect my stay in this country. i have a family here and i would not know what to do if i'm not alowed to enter the country/deported.

My second concern is about my career. again, prior to this incident, i was on track for a high profile role in my company. how will this affect my career and what can i do to minimize the impact?

Thanks,

-Preeti

hii you can PM me. how did ur case go? did u travel after that?

Archived