I-94 date not valid on reentry with new employer

banumyname

Hello all,

I have H1B stamping on passport till Oct 2015. I switched employer and I got new i-797 for March 2017. I went to India with the same old stamping as it is valid till october 2015. At port of entry officer stamped passport as valid until oct 31 2015, he didn't consider my new i797 which is valid till 2017 . But when I checked online I-94 was given as valid until Apr 28 ( my port of entry date). I contacted DHS they suggested to go to nearest operations center to correct the date. I went in and they said they are going to correct the date to Oct 31 online to match what officer wrote on the passport. Now My new employer is saying we need to file h1 extension again as it will be invalid. I am confused on this. Please suggest me.

thanks

Bhanu

That is kind of strange not to give an I94 till 2017. You can try to exit and enter to get an extended I94.

Thanks for response, Is it going to be an issue if I stay after oct 30  this year with out going out of country as my new i797 petition is valid till 2017? anyway I need to go to visa stamping if I step out of country after oct.

Archived