J-1 waiver: Total timeline and the lessons learned

asterosdeals

Here is the total timeline for my No Objection-based waiver (again, this is No Objection based):

Dec 10, 2014: J-1 waiver application sent to the DOS.

Jan 10, 2015: Received and can track online.

Jan 29, 2015: Embassy sent NOS to DOS

Feb 12, 2015: NOS received by the DOS

Mar 30, 2015: Fav Reco. (TOOK AROUND 7 WEEKS, it was such a painful time to wait...)

APR 8, 2015: USCIS received Fav Reco

APR 22, 2015: USCIS approved case.

So, overall, lessons I learned are: 

1. Start ASAP!!! Don't postpone any step that is under YOUR control!

2. Be extremely careful with completing the forms. No mistakes allowed!!!

3. Don't save money. Ship all your docs with fastest service to and from those federal agencies. 

4. As you can see, DOS is the bottleneck here. So push them! EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL!!! Apparently someone does read the emails!

5. At the same time, ask your state senate/congressmen to help. Write to them by mail, use fastest mailing service! Don't save money!!!

6. (I believe someone else also said this): don't waste your time with 'advisory opinion'. If your DS-2019/J-1 visa both said you are subject, then you ARE subject. No need to double check. Rather gather your documents then. I lost 4 months for this step...

Thanks but how doe we get the embassy issue an NOS?

Thanks much!

padma

Once you get the three NOCs from agencies in India you will need to submit at Indian consulate along with your DS3035 reference page. Indian consulate will forward that to Indian embassy and in turn a final NOC letter from them will be forwarded to DOS. You will receive a copy of that forwarded NOC by post.

Archived