URGENT!! Health Insurance for my Wife

radhisanne1

The IRS regulations state that an employee may change his or her benefit elections only at open enrollment each year unless the employee experiences a Qualified Change in Status Event (such as marriage, divorce, or birth of a child).  

Under our benefit plans, if an employee experiences a qualified event, he or she may make the change within 31 days of the event (or 90 days for the birth or adoption of a child).  If the employee does not make the change within 31 days of the event (or 90 days as shown above), then he or she must wait until the next open enrollment period to make the change.

I couldn't submit the paper work as I was in India for 31 days after my marriage, and also my HR didn't inform me about this 31 day window period

Now my question is:

Is there any way that my company can add my wife to my insurance after 31 days of the event? Is there any exemption?

Please help me out..

depending on the size of the company they can make changes to health plan anytime. contact HR ASAP.

You need to add your wife to the plan within 31days of her entering US not  31 days after marriage.

For group insurance, the change can be made for a certain time after a life-changing event. Marriage is such a life-changing event, entry into the US isn't.

@ashnueel,

Thanks for your reply!

What I found was the same, it's 31 days after entering the USA not 31 days after the event.  Without the I-94, insurance companies can't add my wife to my policy.

Is there any written proof which I can show to my HR?

Call your insurance company and they will give you what you want.

@ Joe,

Thanks for your response!

Do you think it's not at all possible to add now? What are the options that I've?

The only option that I've is, cancel my insurance with my company, and purchase an insurance for me and my wife, but it's very expensive

750$/month, PPO

I've checked with a lot of insurance companies to purchase insurance for my wife but they all need SSN.

• 1 year later...

Archived