F1 OPT to H4 Change by directly going to US Embassy

Sid_OptExtension

Questions:

1) Can I change my visa status from F1 OPT to H4 without applying for Change of Status by directly going to US Embassy since I am in India right now as I heard it is considered as consular processing for H4 ?

2) Is it mandatory that I should apply change of status from F1 to H4 then only go to US Embassy for H4 Visa Stamping even though if I am in India i.e out side of USA ?

Background: I came to USA in July 2013 on H4 Visa and enrolled in College , changed my visa status from H4 to F1 in Dec 2013 and Currently I am on F1 OPT.  Right  now, I am in India for vacation and want to change my F1 OPT visa status back to H4.

Questions:

1) Can I change my visa status from F1 OPT to H4 without applying for Change of Status by directly going to US Embassy since I am in India right now as I heard it is considered as consular processing for H4 ?

2) Is it mandatory that I should apply change of status from F1 to H4 then only go to US Embassy for H4 Visa Stamping even though if I am in India i.e out side of USA ?

Background: I came to USA in July 2013 on H4 Visa and enrolled in College , changed my visa status from H4 to F1 in Dec 2013 and Currently I am on F1 OPT.  Right  now, I am in India for vacation and want to change my F1 OPT visa status back to H4.

Yes, you can get your H4 visa directly from the consulate.

Archived