Urgent help plz: Can I apply J1 Visa while my green card is getting processed by NVC?

DrSab

I'm a medical graduate applying for medical residency in the US in September 2015, and in case I get accepted a medical residency program will sponsor me for a J1 visa in March 2016 - the thing is that, my parents, who are US citizens, have petitioned my green card, and now my documents are getting processed in the NVC. From my PD (category F1) you can tell that I was expecting to become current this month, but assuming a worst case scenario and saying there was a retrogression in the coming months which would prevent me from obtaining my GC by March 2016 . Will applying for a J1 visa and having J1 status, cause any disadvantage on the green card processing, or getting permanent immigrant status granted. Am I even eligible for a J1 with a GC being processed by the NVC??

The J1 doesn't allow immigration intent.

An I-130 shows immigration intent, so a J1 is not possible.

Thank you for your reply, but in this case and in the event that my PD (1 Aug 2007) doesn't become current in March 2016, can I cancel my GC application and apply for a J1, because it is very difficult to secure a residency spot here in the US and I would rather be employed on a J1 rather than unemployed with a green card.

Archived