Applying for H1 after completing 5 yrs in L1

srinivas_san

Hello,

I have completed 5yrs of stay in US on L1B and returned to India on Jun '14. I am not sure if I want to ask my employer to File for H1 during 2015 quota.

1) If I apply for 2015 H1B

will I be eligible for just 1 yr (starting Oct '15 to Sep'16) since I have not completed 1 yr cooling off period

(or)

I will be eligible for full 6 yrs since the actual H1 is only effective Oct '15 and by then my 1 yr cooling off period is complete.

Please help and appreciate it in advance.

Thanks

I am in a similar situation,

I am on L1B and will be completing 5 years in Jan 2015. I currently stay in USA and will be leaving USA in Jan 2015.

If i apply for H1B in March 2015 from my country . Will i get the H1B visa for 1 year, or can i get for 6 years? [i.e., starting from Oct 2015 onwards].

(Or),

Is there a way to specify that i want a fresh visa (for next 6 years validity)?

I am on L1B and will be completing 5 years in Jan 2015. I currently stay in USA and will be leaving USA in Jan 2015.

If i apply for H1B in March 2015 from my country . Will i get the H1B visa for 1 year, or can i get for 6 years? [i.e., starting from Oct 2015 onwards].

(Or),

To get the full 6 years, you have to be outside the US for at least a year before an H1 can be FILED.

That means if you leave in Jan. 2015, a new H1 would have to be filed in April 2016 for a start date of Oct. 2016 if you want to get the full 6 years.

(Or),

If applied in April 2015 you will get 1 year. If applied in April 2016 you will get 6 years.

Archived