O1 visa queries

Kitee

Hello,

I am in a confused state, it would be of great help if someone could provide suggestions.

Here's my story.

I am currently on a J1 visa, exhausted 4 years doing non accredited fellowship programs. I am subjected to the 2 year home country requirement. Now I am discussing a potential offer from a hospital to pay my own O1 visa fee and if granted, I can join their hospital. I, however, have few queries regarding this visa.

1. If I am granted the O1 visa and join the hospital, am I tied up to the hospital? i.e after a year if I secure a position in an accredited fellowship, can I just switch? Will the switch require me to go back to a J1 visa? What are the potential issues?

2. How much does O1 visa cost?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

An individual does not need a waiver of the home residency requirement before applying for an O-1 visa. An individual subject to the home residency requirement is not permitted to apply for an H or L visa, an immigrant visa, adjust status or change status in the United States. However they may, if eligible, be approved for an O-1 petition and apply for an O-1 visa and be admitted in O-1 classification.

An individual does not need a waiver of the home residency requirement before applying for an O-1 visa. An individual subject to the home residency requirement is not permitted to apply for an H or L visa, an immigrant visa, adjust status or change status in the United States. However they may, if eligible, be approved for an O-1 petition and apply for an O-1 visa and be admitted in O-1 classification.

Thanks attorney for correcting me.

Archived