Advice on B2 VISA

umanna

I am currently working in the US as a H1B employee in a University. I am planning to sponsor a B2 visitor VISA for my mother. I would really appreciate if you please give me some advice on what might be the best way to present her case during the VISA interview.

We are expecting a baby in January, and she wants to visit US sometimes after January to see her grandson/daughter. Is this a good enough reason to apply for a B2 VISA? I have heard stories that her visit might be interpreted as taking up jobs of nannies and her application might be rejected.

Or would simply applying for a B2 VISA for the purpose of pleasure be a better idea? However, given that she is a widow and home-maker, this option might be a bit tricky! She is currently living with my brother in India. No other direct family ties. She has a house and some lands in her name. No significant amount of money in her bank account.

I will truly appreciate if you please give me some advice on this based on your own experience.

Many thanks in advance!!

I am planning to sponsor a B2 visitor VISA for my mother.

Technically you cannot sponsor B2 visa. You may help with her application and pay for all visa/ trip expenses but she has to apply for herself.

Most important thing is to show strong cultural and financial ties to home country. The VO must be convinced that she will return after a short visit.  It is not a requirement that only rich ppl get visa but having solid financial background helps as VO knows that you will not abandon your personal wealth and stay back in the US.

simply applying for a B2 VISA for the purpose of pleasure be a better idea?

Yes. In some cases pregnancy related answers can cause rejection. It is not just that she will be perceived as working as nanny but if both spouses work it can be looked as providing day care and potentially overstaying the visa if the child/ mother needs medical care after birth.

@ rahul412

Thank you very much! I also thought the same since she will be much more confident while facing the interview. But again, as the response from @ ashuneel suggests that her visit can be precived as providing day care!!

@ ashuneel

Thank you very much!! I mean to say I will send a notorized I-134, affadavit of support as well as a letter addressed to the VO that I will be paying for the trip, etc. It looks like your advice is in favor for simply applying for a B2 VISA for the purpose of pleasure. Consideing her background (widow and home-maker, only one son living in India, with some personal wealth), does she have a fair chance to getting a B2?

Any other opinions/suuggestions, please??

@ ashuneel

Thank you very much!! I mean to say I will send a notorized I-134, affadavit of support as well as a letter addressed to the VO that I will be paying for the trip, etc. It looks like your advice is in favor for simply applying for a B2 VISA for the purpose of pleasure. Consideing her background (widow and home-maker, only one son living in India, with some personal wealth), does she have a fair chance to getting a B2?

Any other opinions/suuggestions, please??

To clarify,

She should definately not lie about intentions to see grandchild.  It is not a crime to feel like visiting your kids and grandkids. 

It would simply be better if visit for pleasure/ tourism is the main reason and VO is satisfied with that. Be confident and truthful. It helps if you both are on the same page before she goes to interview so that she does not have to think too hard when questions are asked.

I am on H1B visa. My mother is also a widow and staying with my younger brother. She has no property in her name. Two months back we applied for her visa and she was granted. I sent her the I-134 form along with all my documents.

The VO didn't ask her many questions. The reason for her travel was to see me and my family.

I hope that helps. Just try it and speak the truth.

Thank you very much!! I mean to say I will send a notorized I-134

That is not necessary, and can backfire.

An I-134 is not enforceable, the officers know that.

When somebody presents an I-134, and notarized to boot, that raises all kinds of red flags. An officer could think, "where did this person got the idea of a notarized I-134 from? Asking on the Internet? There may be something fishy with the application"...

Don't submit things that are not required.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. I stopped following the thread after a couple of days!!

Thanks ashuneel for the clarification!

Thanks l1b_cos_h1b for sharing your story. It certainly gives me hope.

Thanks JoeF for bringing the issue of I-134 up! I had an an impression that sending a natorised I-134 for sponsoring (paying for trips, accommodation, etc.) is mandatory. After I look at the the instruction, it says "Form I-134 may be used in any case in which you are inadmissible on public charge grounds...................". So it appears one should definately not send this!

I have  posted a separate thread on this. I will truly appreciate if you could clarify this in some detail.

If I should not send a notorized I-134, will a letter addressed to the Consular general suffice?

Many thanks in advance!

Archived