F1 Visa Stamping

Sanabk

Hello All,

I entered US in 2001 to pursue MS. Graduated in 2004 and worked on H1B for 5 years. In 2009 I got the ax at work and started PhD at my alma mater from 2010.

I got my H1B to F1 approval in 2010 and my H1B visa expired in 2010 too. Since 2009 I didn't travel to any country due to my hectic student life. 

In 2004, I got my1st 3year H1B visa stamped from Mexico and 2nd 3year H1B visa stamped from India. 

Before finishing my PhD, I am planning to travel to India and wondering if I will be at risk when I go for F1 visa stamping. Can I travel to Mexico or Canada to get a visa stamp? 

Please kindly help me. Thanks in advance!

My alma mater is New Mexico State University and it is very well accredited. Currently, I am pursuing PhD in Electrical Engineering. My only fear is that US consulate holding me back (by not processing my visa) as I lived for almost 13 years and not going back to India after finishing my masters. 

@Jairichi: In 2009 Nov I got laidoff and my H1B was stamped until Oct 2010. In Dec 2009 I applied for my change of status and got it approved in Apr 2010. I was enrolled as a PhD candidate in Jan 2010 as my DSO suggested me to enroll to maintain my I-20 status. This says, I was not on "out of status" during this transition. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, I have my H1B to F1 change of status 797 approval. You mentioned in one of your replies that I can go to Canada Or Jamaica, but not to Mexico; However, I visited Juarez (Mexico) consulate for F1 to H1B stamping in 2004 and wondering if I can go for F1 visa stamping now as well (Juarez is close to my university town and as a student I can afford/cross the bridge taking help from my advisor/friends, who are Mexicans).

Thanks in advance!

Archived