Status

rajpatel123

Initially I was on H4 Visa(which was stamped in my passport around Jan 2012) to pursue my master's degree which started in August 2011. I had it transferred to F1 Visa around Jan 2013, but hadn't had it stamped for the reason I never left the country. I completed my graduation in May 2013 & OPT Started from July 7th 2013 . Now I got 17 month STEM extension(approved) which is valid until Dec 2015 

I have a situation where I want to visit India. What are my options? Can I travel to India and come back with no issues. Can I get stamping on F1 visa now, considering my studies are completed and am on OPT extension? 

Please let me know your learned thoughts and advice on the situation. 

Thanks in advance

Prime factor for issuing F1 visa is to complete the degree, and in this case OP has finished his course and graduated.

I agree with your point. But OPT is a carrot attached to F1 to get more international students which in a way contribute to US economy. As it is a part of F1 I think it should not be a problem to get F1 visa stamping with all supporting documents. My opinion and it is a possibility that I might be wrong.

I agree with your point. But OPT is a carrot attached to F1 to get more international students which in a way contribute to US economy. As it is a part of F1 I think it should not be a problem to get F1 visa stamping with all supporting documents. My opinion and it is a possibility that I might be wrong.

OPT is an optional, their is no loss if a student doesn't take OPT. But if its during the middle of the F1 program then its a big lose to the student for not getting the degree and its wait of time and money.

I agree with your point. But OPT is a carrot attached to F1 to get more international students which in a way contribute to US economy..

No. People need to stop thinking their work would "contribute to the US economy."

That is not a consideration for immigration stuff.

USCIS couldn't care less about "contribution to the US economy." And students fresh out of college are not really qualified to "contribute to the US economy.". OPT is "Practical Training", not "contribution to the economy." People get training, which actually costs the US economy.

If a person thinks their work contributes to the US economy, they can try getting a GC in EB2-NIW. That's the only thing where having the person in the US matters to US authorities.

F1-OPT has nothing at all to do with any "contribution to the US economy." On F1, a person is supposed to return to his or her home country, so the practical training would just help the person to get an advantage in his or her home country.

No. People need to stop thinking their work would "contribute to the US economy."

That is not a consideration for immigration stuff.

USCIS couldn't care less about "contribution to the US economy." And students fresh out of college are not really qualified to "contribute to the US economy.". OPT is "Practical Training", not "contribution to the economy." People get training, which actually costs the US economy.

If a person thinks their work contributes to the US economy, they can try getting a GC in EB2-NIW. That's the only thing where having the person in the US matters to US authorities.

F1-OPT has nothing at all to do with any "contribution to the US economy." On F1, a person is supposed to return to his or her home country, so the practical training would just help the person to get an advantage in his or her home country.

JoeF, you misunderstood my statement. I never meant OPT contributes to US economy but attracting foreign students who pay international fees contributes to US economy. It is the case with UK & Australia where one of the major revenue is fee from international students.

Archived