POE with Class A misdemeanor for Shoplifting

seekingrepent

I was convicted with Class A misdemeanor for shoplifting in 2009. 

This was my first time offense ever. This was an unfortunate incident. I would definitely blame myself for not being a responsible citizen. I was in a state of mind of fun, which led to bad judgment and did not realize at that point of time, that I was about to commit an offense. I have recognized that engaging in such behavior was not productive in my life and have focused on the positives of my life, my family, and my career. From this experience, I have grown and taken personal responsibility for my actions. I understand that this has damaged my credibility and realize I can’t change what is already done, but I can make the best with what is left. I am very remorseful of my actions and this action of mine has changed my outlook towards life. I started doing community service, which helped me gain lot of satisfaction. After this incident, I wanted to give back to community as much as possible. I performed some charity and helped some poor people, to my capacity, at local organizations. I have made a terrible mistake, however, I would like to put it behind me and keep moving forward. I am looking for a second chance to reestablish myself in the community.

The fear of being rejected at POE, has been with me, since 2009 and I have not travelled out of US since then. I would like to visit my home country, my parents and my siblings, since I miss them a lot.

This was my one and only offense and since I had no jail time, maximum possible sentence for class A misdemeanor is 1 year or less, Will I come under petty theft exception for POE purpose? If someone can guide me, I would really appreciate their help.

Thanks

As long as you served (like community service etc) as per the court order after this incidence, I think you are all set. Go to the court, talk to the clerk and get the case document showing this case is now closed. You may be required to file some form to get the case document etc.

Go to the local police station and ask a certificate of character or similar certificate showing you are in good standing with no case pending against you etc.

Carry these documents with you when you travel outside of US. Show them at POE is question arises.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I am planning to do that. I was just hoping, if anyone on this forum has a petty offense exception for POE purposes?

Would appreciate, if someone could shed some light?

Thanks

If you qualify for petty theft exception( which you do) , you will not have a problem at PoE.

you will be sent to the back room- where ppl like you, ppl who have lost pp, ppl who have connecting flight will be waiting.

They will ask you questions - what happened blah blah

Explain the facts, have the court docs with you any time you travel to US. 

No need to be scared. Travel away.

Consulting a lawyer will definitely help. Please do so.

• 4 weeks later...

I was convicted with Class A misdemeanor for shoplifting in 2009. 

This was my first time offense ever. This was an unfortunate incident. I would definitely blame myself for not being a responsible citizen. I was in a state of mind of fun, which led to bad judgment and did not realize at that point of time, that I was about to commit an offense. I have recognized that engaging in such behavior was not productive in my life and have focused on the positives of my life, my family, and my career. From this experience, I have grown and taken personal responsibility for my actions. I understand that this has damaged my credibility and realize I can’t change what is already done, but I can make the best with what is left. I am very remorseful of my actions and this action of mine has changed my outlook towards life. I started doing community service, which helped me gain lot of satisfaction. After this incident, I wanted to give back to community as much as possible. I performed some charity and helped some poor people, to my capacity, at local organizations. I have made a terrible mistake, however, I would like to put it behind me and keep moving forward. I am looking for a second chance to reestablish myself in the community.

The fear of being rejected at POE, has been with me, since 2009 and I have not travelled out of US since then. I would like to visit my home country, my parents and my siblings, since I miss them a lot.

This was my one and only offense and since I had no jail time, maximum possible sentence for class A misdemeanor is 1 year or less, Will I come under petty theft exception for POE purpose? If someone can guide me, I would really appreciate their help.

Thanks

Can you please share your experience ? do you finally go to india ?

• 1 year later...

Archived