Denial of new visa app cancels the existing ?

kappian

My dad's visa is expiring end of 2015 after 10 years. I was debating should I have him go to the new visa interview or have him use the existing visa to come to USA early next year and then go back and apply for a visa.

Hypothetical question...If they reject the new visa application does it void the existing visa also or the existing visa is still valid up to it's original validity ?

Thanks

VTK

I am little worried because in last 10 years he visited about 3 times and when he visited 2nd time we applied for extension but it got rejected and he went back after receiving the rejection letter. Issue is that he already overstayed for about 3 months by the time we received the rejection letter. Though 1st and 3rd time he went back in time, I am little concerned that he may have problem getting the visa for 2nd time but at the same time, next year it will be too close for his visa and passport expiration which causes the dilemma.

Please share your thoughts...

Passport expiration is not germane to the issue. Old visas in expired passports remain valid for use. Your Dad should talk to the firm of Murthy with facts since overstaying the I94 is supposed to void the tourist visa. Hence he will need a new visa.

I though the same Pontevecchio. But, his dad was able to travel again to US after that episode.

Regarding needing a new visa because of overstay may be correct by the book but may not be needed practically as he came once after that. I know few others who did the same.

Can someone answer my original question which is when we apply for a visa and if it gets rejected does it void the existing visa. Lets say everything is perfect in this case.

Regarding needing a new visa because of overstay may be correct by the book but may not be needed practically as he came once after that. I know few others who did the same.

Can someone answer my original question which is when we apply for a visa and if it gets rejected does it void the existing visa. Lets say everything is perfect in this case.

We have answered your question already. He can travel with his existing valid visa. Later he can apply for a new visa. Why does he need a new visa when current one is valid till end of 2015 and his intention is to travel early 2015?

Archived