Do i need to get a new F2?

TkNeo

Hi everyone, My husband and I both got a visa for university X. My husband went to US few months ago and has transferred to another university Y.  I have not yet left for US yet. My visa has the X university's name on it. 

My question is that can i simply travel on the current F2 visa i have with the new I-20 (from University Y) or do i need to go to the consulate to get a new visa ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jairichi, thank you so so much for your prompt reply. I would love to learn more. From the large number of post count you have, i can tell you have ton of experience in such matters. Can you explain me what is the law here ? I have not been to US yet. If all that matters is my spouses's latest I-20 (from university Y) and my I-20 from the same university then why does the visa say the university X's name in the first place ? I just want to make sure i understand the process. Would hate to be asked to return back to my home country at the US port of entry.

jairichi, thank you so so much for your prompt reply. I would love to learn more. From the large number of post count you have, i can tell you have ton of experience in such matters. Can you explain me what is the law here ? I have not been to US yet. If all that matters is my spouses's latest I-20 (from university Y) and my I-20 from the same university then why does the visa say the university X's name in the first place ? I just want to make sure i understand the process. Would hate to be asked to return back to my home country at the US port of entry.

I did not have to go through your situation. F1 visa is not tied to an university. I-20 and SEVIS are. This does not prevent one from transfering to another university upon entry to US. During transfer SEVIS has to be updated and a new I-20 issued. As long as you have a valid F2 visa (irrespective of which university name is stamped in that) and new I-20, other supporting documents and your spouse is on valid F1 status you are allowed to enter US. If you want to be more sure you can wait for responses from others or you could talk with an attorney or ask your spouse to speak to international student services in his university.

I have a similar situation, My spouse is transferring to a different university and the SEVIS is transferred and got the I-20 too. I havent applied for the the F2 I-20 yet. I am out of status if I still have the new I-20. We have some personal issues going on and my spouse is not willing to apply for a F2 I-20 at the new university. How long am I eligible to stay in the US with the old I-20?

I want to sort things with her by staying here rather than leaving the country.

Please help! 

Archived