Effect of past Indian government scholarship for J-1 waiver

ria_rah

Hello,

I'm currently on J-1 status as a postdoc and don't receive any form of government funding whatsoever from either India or the US. However, I have been subjected to the 2-year home residency rule due to the Exchange Skills List. I have just started applying for the waiver using NORI, and have found the application forms to be very confusing.

I had an issue with the following question on the bio-data form: "Have you been sponsored and provided with certain privileges, such as admission into Colleges, Universities or employment with the Government of India/Government of any State in India?"

Now, for my masters (which I did from 2007 till 2009), I went to a government institution in India that pays all of its students monthly stipends. Does this mean that I need to answer "Yes" to the above question? If so, will there be any impact on my No Objection to Return to India application?

I would really appreciate it if someone can answer this question. Many thanks!

Hello!

I did go to a government college. I did not receive any stipend. I put 'No' to that question on my application. I have received my NORI letter.

Since all the students in your college received a stipend, I think it is not a 'privilege', so I would put 'No'.

My understanding after going through that whole process is that the basic purpose of the NORI exercise is for the govt. to see that you have not defaulted on any loans, have not committed to the Indian govt to serve them in some capacity and you are not wanted in any criminal misdemeanors/offences. So for the most part it's about getting the paperwork right and submitted to the correct offices and persistent, continuous, dogged follow-up at the respective offices.

Best.

Hello!

I did go to a government college. I did not receive any stipend. I put 'No' to that question on my application. I have received my NORI letter.

Since all the students in your college received a stipend, I think it is not a 'privilege', so I would put 'No'.

My understanding after going through that whole process is that the basic purpose of the NORI exercise is for the govt. to see that you have not defaulted on any loans, have not committed to the Indian govt to serve them in some capacity and you are not wanted in any criminal misdemeanors/offences. So for the most part it's about getting the paperwork right and submitted to the correct offices and persistent, continuous, dogged follow-up at the respective offices.

Best.

Thanks so much for the response. Also, congratulations on receiving your NORI!

Archived