I94 extension/renewal cost

pk2014

Hi guys,

I have an H1B visa valid till 2016, but my I94 is set to expire in November 2014 because of my passport expiry.

If at all I am not able to get the i94 renewed by making a re-entry, who has to bear the renewal/extension fee? Me or my employer? They are telling me the cost is around USD 3000.

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PK

Hi guys,

I have an H1B visa valid till 2016, but my I94 is set to expire in November 2014 because of my passport expiry.

If at all I am not able to get the i94 renewed by making a re-entry, who has to bear the renewal/extension fee? Me or my employer? They are telling me the cost is around USD 3000.

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PK

Any kind of immigration fee has to be paid by employer. If its just I94 renewal then cross the border with new PP and get one. No need of any money.

If it's your H1 ext then your employer has to pay the processing fee. In either case, you have zero dollars to pay.

jairichi and omshiv, thank you very much for your responses. Well I thought so myself; just wanted to know what the experienced folks thought about this.

Back in 2013, when they had filed for my H1B, I had told them that my passport is going to expire in another year. But I coudn't get my passport renewed at that time because there was more than a year for it's expiry - and we cannot renew the passport more than a year before it's scheduled expiry date. They didn't mention anything about this being an issue with them; and were infact pretty cool about it saying that it's easier to get the passport renewed in US. However, they didn't mention anything about the I94 renewal situation.

Now they are saying that it's better to make a re-entry than extend/renew it; and although they haven't explicitly said that I will have to bear the expenses, the *indications* are definitely towards it. Hence wanted to ascertain the facts surrounding it before going back to them. If at all it comes down to my taking care of it; I would rather get the i94 renewed by visiting Canada.

Thanks again!

PK

jairichi and omshiv, thank you very much for your responses. Well I thought so myself; just wanted to know what the experienced folks thought about this.

Back in 2013, when they had filed for my H1B, I had told them that my passport is going to expire in another year. But I coudn't get my passport renewed at that time because there was more than a year for it's expiry - and we cannot renew the passport more than a year before it's scheduled expiry date. They didn't mention anything about this being an issue with them; and were infact pretty cool about it saying that it's easier to get the passport renewed in US. However, they didn't mention anything about the I94 renewal situation.

Now they are saying that it's better to make a re-entry than extend/renew it; and although they haven't explicitly said that I will have to bear the expenses, the *indications* are definitely towards it. Hence wanted to ascertain the facts surrounding it before going back to them. If at all it comes down to my taking care of it; I would rather get the i94 renewed by visiting Canada.

Thanks again!

PK

Yes, as others have mentioned it is easy to get a new I4 if you just cross the border and show your valid H1B visa, new passport and extension approval notice. It is very simple.

Hi all,

I am also on the same boat. I would be very much grateful if anyone suggest me the best and safe option to obtain new I-94, i.e. Crossing San Diego - Tijuana border or travelling to Canada. Also, let me know is there any visa required for crossing mexico border as like Canada. I am little worried about border crossing, please guide me on this.

Thanks In advance.

Thanks,

Raj

Hi all,

I am also on the same boat. I would be very much grateful if anyone suggest me the best and safe option to obtain new I-94, i.e. Crossing San Diego - Tijuana border or travelling to Canada. Also, let me know is there any visa required for crossing mexico border as like Canada. I am little worried about border crossing, please guide me on this.

Thanks In advance.

Thanks,

Raj

If your H1B visa is expired I believe you will need a Mexican visa.

No visa necessary. Technically you will not even enter Mexico. GOOGLE STREET VIEW of the Border crossing will make it very clear. You go through the turnstiles and make a rapid U-turn away from the cabs on the left and make your way to the US border crossing . You have to plainly ask for a new I94 based on the approved H1 petition and if asked tell them your passport expired to account for the shorter PERIOD ON THE previous I94. You pay ?12 USD and come back with a new I94 and take the trolley back to San Diego.

I think OP mentioned that he has approved I797 till 2016 and only I94 is expiring in Nov 2014. Would that not mean filing a $290 i-539 for extension of status and thats it. Am I wrong somewhere?

Nope. It is not I539 and paying $290. It is H1B and so OP has 2 options. Exit and enter with a valid H1B visa, new passport and I797 to get fresh I94. Or employer files an extension petition and pay H1B fees.

Archived