When can I change to an employer in a different field of work after getting GC

Hello all,

I came to the US in Feb 2004 on H1B from an Indian company to work as a software engineer.  I was absorbed into an American company in 2006 and they re-applied for my H1B.  In 2009, they started my PERM application.  As of now, I have passed the PERM stage, I-140 is approved and I-485 is filed.  My wife and I also have our EADs.  I am still employed with the same company who applied for my GC (employment based).  There is a chance of my 485 becoming current in the next month.  

In the meantime, i pursued a part-time Masters degree (online) in a totally different field - Applied Physics, purely out of passion and self-interest.  I am graduating in a couple of weeks.  So, here are my questions:

1. Will this affect my current I-485 filing process?

2. If I get my GC in a few months, can I switch to employers in a different field based on my new Masters, with no repercussions in the future?  

Thanks in advance!

Thank you JoeF and pontevecchio!  Some websites of immigration firms say, I will have to wait for 6 months, just to change jobs (within the same domain) but longer - anywhere between 1-5 years if I have to change domains altogether.  If you guys have more information, please do share.  

In the meantime, if my 485 gets current and begins to process, I will get hold of an immigration lawyer and discuss specifics.  

Archived