Leaving Country while OPT request is in Progress

ppk123in

Hi,

My last date of college is on August 08th, 2014 and I applied for OPT on May 21, 2014. It is still saying "Initial Review". I am in need to leave the country due to family emergency on August 2nd and returning on September 7th, 2014.

I need help in below doubts:

1. Can I leave the country when OPT is in progress.

2. Will there be any problem when I am enterring again.

3. If I can travel, What are the documents I should carry.

Thank you in advance for your valuable time.

Hi,

My last date of college is on August 08th, 2014 and I applied for OPT on May 21, 2014. It is still saying "Initial Review". I am in need to leave the country due to family emergency on August 2nd and returning on September 7th, 2014.

I need help in below doubts:

1. Can I leave the country when OPT is in progress.

2. Will there be any problem when I am enterring again.

3. If I can travel, What are the documents I should carry.

Thank you in advance for your valuable time.

1. Yes

2. Shouldn't be

3. OPT I20, OPT card and employment letter.

1. Yes.

2. You need to have all your documents like I-20, F1 visa, SEVIS, etc active with OPT approval.

3. Refer 2.

Also, talk to your DSO and also to an independent attorney.

Hi Jai,

Thank you. I will contact attorney. One another quick question. You mentioned OPT aproval. But for me OPT is still in progress. Do you mean i cannot enter again till OPT is approved or do you mean OPT 797 Receipt notice. Please advise.

1. Yes

2. Shouldn't be

3. OPT I20, OPT card and employment letter.

Hi Rahul,

Thank you. I have one question on #3. My OPT is still in progress. Does that mean i cannot enter US again unless OPT is approved and I have EAD card? I already have employment offer. Please advice.

Hi Jai,

Thank you. I will contact attorney. One another quick question. You mentioned OPT aproval. But for me OPT is still in progress. Do you mean i cannot enter again till OPT is approved or do you mean OPT 797 Receipt notice. Please advise.

A receipt notice will not help you. You need OPT approval card.

Archived