I-485 RFE::I-693 when outside the county

sksanghavi

I have received notification from USCIS website that I have an RFE for me and my family I-485 appln PD: Aug 2008. Looking at the forums it looks like most of them are getting RFE for I693. My question is that if the family is outside out the country then how to re-file for a new I-693? Can they go for medical exam outside of the country? They cannot travel back immediately due to family emergency.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I too have received the RFE, which clearly states that it has been more than a year since the last medical examination and since the dates are moving forward, they require newly done medical examination.

Having said that, my spouse is also travelling and is currently in India and is not expected to return before the I-693 filing date. She is travelling on a valid AP. Is there any way we can get these medical examination done in India by an approved CIS doctor? USCIS has approved doctors who provide certificate for applying visas (http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/immigration-medical-examinations/finding-medical-doctor). But will the same work for I-693?

Appreciate any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I also received the similar RFE and my status is also same. Family is outside the USA. In this case

1) Can we go to the doctor outside USA (Home country) for I-693? If yes, where can I find the list of doctors in India?

2) Is Counselor Processing an option for this type of case?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Hello, 

I have received the similar RFE and my wife & daughter are in India right now.  Did someone get an answer for this situation? I tried to call a hospital and they could not get clarify it clearly.  Can someone kindly post the answer for this?

Thank you.

Hello,

I do have a similar situation, Wife is back in india and need to get her medical done. I did look for list of approved Panel physicians outside US and i found them. The doctor asked me to send all the documents( I will send her the RFE). Is the doctor confirms the medical can be done, then i'm planning to go ahead and get it done. However i'm not sure if USCIS will honor this ? Any feedback ?

Thank You

Hi,

There seems to be some way to this situation.

Please see following links to get I-693 from doctor outside US and close RFE. I have taken USCIS office appointment (in US) to ask them about this. (I have attached PDF for physicians who are under USCIS, Mumbai office. You can find for your region too.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/immigration-medical-examinations/finding-medical-doctor

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/BMB%20-%20Bombay.pdf

Hi Chandrakant,

I have also gone through the above website links sometimes back and called the hospital in India as well.  They need the visa appointment letter to do the medical test which means the visa appointment is for "consular processing", not for I485.  If you happen to go to the USCIS local office, please verify about this.   Whether the doctor can do the medical exam for I485 RFE..? Even if the hospital provides the I693 filled form, will it be accepted by USCIS? 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am exactly in the same boat, family in India over year and I have been travelling back and forth. Spoke to couple of attorneys both were not sure whether my family can get the medicals done in India. It's too costly proposition to have them travel just for medicals. Converting to CP is going to take a long time, and my immigration lawyer said that's not an option to respond to RFE. He thinks once we respond to RFEs then we can consider starting CP process, anyone has a better handle on this issue? Please post your research information. Thanks!  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I visited USCIS office in USA and discussed with them. They said OK to go ahead for tests in India based on their website details.

Then contacted Panel doctor in India and he asked me to get approval from US Consulate

I contacted them through email and they raise case for the same. After few days, they gave confirmation for conducting tests there. I showed it to doctor. he conducted tests,prepared reports and handover the sealed envelopes for I-693

My family sent me that to US and I submitted to USCIS. Time consuming process but finally did it.

Hi,

I visited USCIS office in USA and discussed with them. They said OK to go ahead for tests in India based on their website details.

Then contacted Panel doctor in India and he asked me to get approval from US Consulate

I contacted them through email and they raise case for the same. After few days, they gave confirmation for conducting tests there. I showed it to doctor. he conducted tests,prepared reports and handover the sealed envelopes for I-693

My family sent me that to US and I submitted to USCIS. Time consuming process but finally did it.

Hi Chandrakant

Please email me. I have mentioned my email in my profile. I need help regarding this. I was trying to send you a message but could not send a message because there is no option.

I checked in Forum FAQs and it said I can mention my email over there and ask someone to contact me. If you could email me, it would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

My 485 status changed today. It now says-

Decision

On September 9, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before receiving your card, please call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

My dependents still show RFE because I still have not replied to the I-693 medical RFE.

Chandrakant - I remember you had replied to the RFE with your medicals and your dependents RFE who were in India. Any status update on your case or your dependents case?

BTW - My PD is 8th April 2009, TX processing center.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/21/2014 at 10:58 AM, Chandrakant24 said:

Performing tests in India is possible. I just did that and received reports.

Were you onEAD/Advance Parole when you were in india .

I have similar situation where my wife is in India due to family issues and she got RFE for i-693. Can we get it done in India. If so what is the procedure

On 8/30/2017 at 3:05 AM, Sundar1974 said:

Hi, I have received a RFE to send the I-693 medicals for my wife. Right now, she is in India and not in a position to travel back to USA. Can anyone in this forum please let me know if we can do the I-693 medical exam in India?

Hi Sundar,

was this possible ? My wife is in India and she is on EAD/AP . we got RFE for i-693 (i-485 approval pending)