Visitor Visa extension approved for just one day

raoshree

We filed Visitor Visa Extension( I-539 for category B2) on Jan 8, 2014 as my parents I-94 was expiring Feb 7, 2014.

On April 14, 2014 we received the approval notice but the extension was only approved from Feb 7 2014 to Feb 8 2014 for just one day.

We called the USCIS customer service and opened up a inquiry and i received response today and reason they gave was "Our records show that you departed the United States on February 5, 2014, prior to the end validity of your currently authorized status.  Therefore, your application will be approved from the day after your current status expires until the next day, from February 7, 2014 to February 8, 2014"

My parents have never left the country and we are not sure how they assumed that. I have taken the info pass appointment here in Phoenix 15 days from now.

Looking for advice from the experts is it advisable to wait till Infopass, how do we handle the situation are they now out of status even if its USCIS mistake assuming they left the country.

We filed Visitor Visa Extension( I-539 for category B2) on Jan 8, 2014 as my parents I-94 was expiring Feb 7, 2014.

On April 14, 2014 we received the approval notice but the extension was only approved from Feb 7 2014 to Feb 8 2014 for just one day.

We called the USCIS customer service and opened up a inquiry and i received response today and reason they gave was "Our records show that you departed the United States on February 5, 2014, prior to the end validity of your currently authorized status.  Therefore, your application will be approved from the day after your current status expires until the next day, from February 7, 2014 to February 8, 2014"

My parents have never left the country and we are not sure how they assumed that. I have taken the info pass appointment here in Phoenix 15 days from now.

Looking for advice from the experts is it advisable to wait till Infopass, how do we handle the situation are they now out of status even if its USCIS mistake assuming they left the country.

Looks like your parents' visa stands canceled and their presence is illegal here. More than asking in this forum you should be talking to an attorney.

As Jairichi pointed out, your parents are now Out of Status and are accuring illegal presence in this country...thats more dangerous as they will be handed out permanent ban.

Better to take an Appt with Murthy Law firm today itself.

Whats the reason for extension though?

Thank you for the response. The reason for extension is in less than 4 weeks i am graduating and i want my parents to witness the convocation.

More than extension i want to make sure the information they have now is corrected because of the wrong data they have.

I am going to the CBP office in Phoenix next Tuesday to correct their records of their departure and following week to USCIS office(Info-pass Appointment) to make sure they have the right information. Once that's done i have no intention for my parents to stay till graduation as i don't want them to stay even a single day out of status. If they leave today the USCIS will still have the wrong information and that will not help in anyway.

Archived