H4 to F1 (Studying in H4 visa)

Pamy

Hello Everybody,

I need some inputs regarding studying in US in H$ visa.

My intention is to work in US. But, my spouse has a H1-B, so I have decided to travel in H4.

I have heard that we can study while in H4, then convert it to F1 and then do OPT and finally work towards obtaining H1-B visa. I am in bad need of information regarding the above.

I have not taken up GRE. I browsed and found that there are some certificate courses, which could be done while in H4, without GRE score. The same course, on completing some credits can be converted to a degree.

My questions are:

1. How would this option work out -> Should I enroll for the course and then convert my H4 to F1 or should I first convert my H4 to F1 and then apply for the course?

2. How will my F1  be converted to OPT? Basically, what is OPT?

3. How can a certificate course be converted to a degree?

4. How can i apply for H1 while in OPT?

I am really dark about these processes and request someone to throw some light on it.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everybody,

I need some inputs regarding studying in US in H$ visa.

My intention is to work in US. But, my spouse has a H1-B, so I have decided to travel in H4.

I have heard that we can study while in H4, then convert it to F1 and then do OPT and finally work towards obtaining H1-B visa. I am in bad need of information regarding the above.

I have not taken up GRE. I browsed and found that there are some certificate courses, which could be done while in H4, without GRE score. The same course, on completing some credits can be converted to a degree.

My questions are:

1. How would this option work out -> Should I enroll for the course and then convert my H4 to F1 or should I first convert my H4 to F1 and then apply for the course?

2. How will my F1  be converted to OPT? Basically, what is OPT?

3. How can a certificate course be converted to a degree?

4. How can i apply for H1 while in OPT?

I am really dark about these processes and request someone to throw some light on it.

Thanks in advance.

Any course without a GRE is not a good one. A certificate course will not give you an OPT. You need to do a degree program in an institute that requires GRE and TOEFL. The institute has to be accredited and could be a non-profit or a public one.

1. You can enroll on H4 but have to move to F1 based on the requirement to be eligible for OPT.

2. OPT is optional practical training. Before you complete your degree you apply for one and once you get approval you can work for an employer. The training has to be relevant to your field of study.

4. When your OPT is getting completed an employer should file a cap subject H1B petition in April of that year with a start date from 1st Oct.

Avoid such certificate schemes.

Apply at a real university, best is a public university,  for a real degree program.

And take the GRE. It is needed for every degree program worth enrolling in.

Avoid institutions that claim you don't need it. These are shady institutions, and you would just throw your money away.

• 2 weeks later...

Any course without a GRE is not a good one. A certificate course will not give you an OPT. You need to do a degree program in an institute that requires GRE and TOEFL. The institute has to be accredited and could be a non-profit or a public one.

1. You can enroll on H4 but have to move to F1 based on the requirement to be eligible for OPT.

2. OPT is optional practical training. Before you complete your degree you apply for one and once you get approval you can work for an employer. The training has to be relevant to your field of study.

4. When your OPT is getting completed an employer should file a cap subject H1B petition in April of that year with a start date from 1st Oct.

Thanks a lot!!!

When you said cap subject H1, would I be eligible for 20,000 visas allocated for those completing higher studies in USA, or would I fall under the regular 65,000 visa category?

Thanks a lot!!!

When you said cap subject H1, would I be eligible for 20,000 visas allocated for those completing higher studies in USA, or would I fall under the regular 65,000 visa category?

If you complete your master's in US from an accredited, public or non-profit university and when H1B petition is filed in master's quota, initially you will be considered under cap in master's quota and if not selected you get another chance in general quota. This double chance is only when a lottery is involved.

Folks,

Here's a related link I found on Murthy's forum on F-1 requirements to qualify for OPT.

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/39048-eligibility-of-getting-opt-after-doing-full-time-certification-18credits/

Reading the USCIS guideline looks like not all certificate courses qualify for full time F-1 status.

The minimum requirement reads "12 credits or more per semester and minimum 24 credits or more for a 9 months period

(2 semesters in an academic year)".

Have the guidelines been revised off late or am I missing something. Can some one please advise ?

Thanks

If you complete your master's in US from an accredited, public or non-profit university and when H1B petition is filed in master's quota, initially you will be considered under cap in master's quota and if not selected you get another chance in general quota. This double chance is only when a lottery is involved.

Thank You so much for your response!!!

Archived