J1 Visa Waiver - Home Department of State of domicile question

boy26

Hi All,

I  was born in KOLKATA, and I studied there until my 12th class. After this I moved to Pune and did by BSc. and MSc. ( my passport was issued in Pune with local address). My in-laws are from Bangalore and my marriage was registered in Bangalore.

My Question:

When applying for J1 waiver, which is my home state ?

Thanks,

Appreciate your help.

Hi All,

I  was born in KOLKATA, and I studied there until my 12th class. After this I moved to Pune and did by BSc. and MSc. ( my passport was issued in Pune with local address). My in-laws are from Bangalore and my marriage was registered in Bangalore.

My Question:

Thanks,

Appreciate your help.

The state u were born is your home state. All the best.

According to me, it should be Maharastra (However, wait and see other's comments also). Because once you apply for NORI with your home state, usually they will contact/verify your undergrad and grad schools before giving a NORI. In your case, since you did your undergrad and grad schools in Pune which is in Maharastra, your home state is Maharastra. 

Hi All,

My Question:

Thanks,

Appreciate your help.

Please wait for other comments too. I may not be correct. All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I am also in a similar situation as boy26 is in. I was born in Pune, Maharashtra, did my schooling, B.Tech in Maharashtra, M.Tech in Uttaranchal. Then, I went to West Bengal for my PhD and I got my passport from Kolkata. Now, I am married and my husband is from Jharkhand (my marriage is registered in Jharkhand).

I am not sure what would be my home department state whether Maharashtra or Jharkhand. The passport office for my case is Kolkata but I am not sure about my home department state. 

@boy26: Did you find out about your home department state or any information that could help us resolve this issue?

Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

I am also in a similar situation as boy26 is in. I was born in Pune, Maharashtra, did my schooling, B.Tech in Maharashtra, M.Tech in Uttaranchal. Then, I went to West Bengal for my PhD and I got my passport from Kolkata. Now, I am married and my husband is from Jharkhand (my marriage is registered in Jharkhand).

I am not sure what would be my home department state whether Maharashtra or Jharkhand. The passport office for my case is Kolkata but I am not sure about my home department state. 

@boy26: Did you find out about your home department state or any information that could help us resolve this issue?

Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks

As far as I understand, the home dept. will send Police Inquiry to your place of current residence. So, probably your state dept. must be Jharkhand. How can the police do a verification at a place where you are not currently living? Please wait for a reply from other experts.

• 1 month later...

Hi rahsutitalug,

Did you sort this out yet ?   Which address is mentioned on your passport ? Is it Jarkhand address ?

Please let me know.  The question i am trying to address is " How will you show address proof for Jarkhand ?

Archived