Extension Denied: Masters from For-Profit University not considered under Masters Quota for H-1B

rkreddy46

Hi Folks,

I have seen this post and I am concerned since I graduated from one of those colleges. Can an expert advise on how to proceed. I understand that the post asks us to contact an attorney but would like to get an advice from another firm.

http://www.*********************

If the page doesn't open up, here is the content:

By ******************

If your U.S. master’s degree is from a private, for-profit university and you obtained your H-1B approval under the Masters Cap exemption, you may run into problems obtaining an H-1B extension. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) is taking a second look at H-1Bs approved under the Masters Cap exemption after some petitions appear to have been approved in error. For those cases where the initial H-1B petition was approved under the Masters Cap and the degree used to qualify for the exemption was from a private, for-profit school, the USCIS could deny the H-1B extension on the grounds that the worker was never actually counted towards the H-1B numerical limitations and is now subject to the H-1B quota. USCIS could also potentially revoke the approved H-1B petition.

On October 1st of every year, the U.S. government makes available 65,000 H-1B visas for the upcoming fiscal year. In addition, there is an advanced degree exemption provided to the first 20,000 petitions filed for an individual who has obtained a U.S. master’s degree or higher. However, not all U.S. master’s degrees are created equal when it comes to qualifying for this exemption. The school issuing the master’s degree must meet the definition of an institution of higher education as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

According to section 101(a), an institution of higher education is an educational institution that is, among other things, a public or other nonprofit institution and is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association or has been granted pre accreditation status by such an agency or association recognized for granting pre accreditation status. Under this definition, a university that is private and for-profit is not considered an institution of higher education.

Below is a list of institutions that we have learned do not meet the criteria of United States institution of higher education as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965:

Stratford University
University of Northern Virginia
Silicon Valley University
******* University
Goldey-Beacom College

If your school is a private, for-profit institution and you obtained an H-1B approval under the Masters Cap, you should contact a qualified immigration attorney as soon as possible. With the new filing window opening on April 1, 2014, you may need to consider filing a new H-1B petition under the Bachelors Cap in order to avoid future problems with your H-1B visa. In addition, if you are a current F-1 student or recent graduate and are planning to file an H-1B petition in the upcoming filing window, consult with an attorney before filing under the Master CAP exemption if you attended a private, for-profit university.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Do we have anyother universities in this list which we can avoid to not to get into a trouble in the future? My wife is planning to join a MS course in "University of Akron". Should I need to confirm with the university before we could proceed further? Please assist us.

University would always inform you that they are in good standing. Ask around and also ask a good immigration attorney.

Don't worry about U Akron.  

One clue about the type of university is the sports programs NCAA DIv 1 is major college sports and is the more elite sports programs. While many good - even elite - schools are not NCAA Div 1, none of the fly by night diploma mills would be admitted even to NCAA. So,  if you follow sports, you can find a good listing of possible schools.

It is also under the eyes of the Ohio Regents.

Please update your original post as *************** is a Private Non- profit university. If you graduate form *** in or after Spring 2013 then your masters degree will be considered for h1b Masters quota as its regionally accredited by WASC and is a non profit university. Even RNLaw group has updated their original article by removing *** from that for profit list

Please update your original post as *************** is a Private Non- profit university. If you graduate form *** in or after Spring 2013 then your masters degree will be considered for h1b Masters quota as its regionally accredited by WASC and is a non profit university. Even RNLaw group has updated their original article by removing *** from that for profit list

*** continues to be shady. They abuse CPT.

Abuse of CPT as done by *** and others will result in the students getting into problems, up to a lifelong ban.

People need to avoid ALL of these fraud "universities".

Find a REAL university, not that fraud.

Hi JoeF,

I have a friend coming to study at *** next year. Despite of multiple requests and pleading, he is still willing to join the ***. Can you share some link that explains why one should NOT attend such universities keeping the future in mind. I wish to convince him and save his future but he is not listening to me.

Hi JoeF,

I have a friend coming to study at *** next year. Despite of multiple requests and pleading, he is still willing to join the ***. Can you share some link that explains why one should NOT attend such universities keeping the future in mind. I wish to convince him and save his future but he is not listening to me.

Look around here.

People who go to that fraud get RFEs and denials. People who have been working with CPT from that fraud somewhere else in the country (which is illegal, since they have to attend classes in person) get RFEs and denials.

People from that fraud who worked with CPT for some grocery stores in the Midwest (illegal) got killed in robberies some years back.

ICE has raided a couple of these fraudulent universities. This one is probably next on their list.

And no real company would hire people from such frauds.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rakesh

How do you come to know that silicon valley University is a for - profit university ?The university website says it s a non-profit .

"Founded in 1997, Silicon Valley University (SVU) is a private, non-profit, high educational institution that's conveniently located in San Jose, California, USA (the 3rd largest city in California) and surrounded by top US high-tech companies and global businesses. "

@rkreddy46

How do you come to know that silicon valley University is a for - profit university ?The university website says it s a non-profit .

"Founded in 1997, Silicon Valley University (SVU) is a private, non-profit, high educational institution that's conveniently located in San Jose, California, USA (the 3rd largest city in California) and surrounded by top US high-tech companies and global businesses. "

please check svuca.edu ,if you need more info .

@Rakesh

Even though they seem to be non-profit, that quote is already a suspicious thing.

Why in the world would a real university advertise the size of the city they are in and that there are companies around?

Do you see Stanford, or UC Berkeley advertise that way??? Stanford, btw, is also in the middle of Silicon Valley.

The bottom line is to stay away from ALL these unknown institutions. They are fourth-tier at best, and outright frauds at worst.

• 3 months later...

Archived