H1b Extension Stamping from Ottawa on April 17, 2013 - 221g issued

StuckinOttawaApr17

Hi all,

I work for a top IT company as full time employee in US. This company has been my first company ever since I started my career in India and I have close to 7 years of experience with it now. I spent 2.5 yrs earlier in US on L1 Blanket visa with same company, then went to India for 1 year and came back to US on a fresh H1b visa last year via same company. First H1b stamping was in Chennai in 2012 and it was very smooth experience with no issues, but I was issued only 1 yr of H1b visa at that time due to USCIS giving only 1 yr approval on my initial I797. Applied for H1b extension 6 months ago while in US and it got approved for another 3 yrs with no issues/questions from USCIS. I also have my I-140 approved from same company as well.

As my first H1 stamp expired in Jan,2013 - I needed a new stamp for me and as my wife(we got married 4 months ago only) and in-laws live in Canada from many yrs, I chose to get my H1b Extension Stamping(along with first H4 stamping for my wife) from Ottawa on April 17, 2013.

I had all supporting documents with me including new I797, LCA(which has never been changed since I am on H1 status), company support letter, client letter, marriage certificate etc.

The visa interview was as follows:

Only original I797 was taken by officials before the finger print and interview window - No other document asked for or questioned on.

After going to window which we got called for, after the initial morning wish by us .. the visa officer asked me - Is H1b the visa type you are here for?

I replied, yes.. it is H1b extension stamping.

He then typed something on the computer for just few seconds and then returned my I797, mine and my wife's passports and issued a 221g Blue form - mentioning that they need to do some admin processing and will email me for next steps.

No question asked for my employment, client, experience... or anything else that I would expect for any normal H1b stamping interview. We were more of suprised with such an interview experience of getting the 221g and no details asked about my employment and I am waiting till date to hear from consulate.

Anyone else had similar experience in Ottawa consulate... earlier or on same April 17, 2013???

I am stuck in ottawa on a canada visitor visa now. Pls share your experience and let me know what can I expect now.

Hmm A few others have mentioned 221g for admin processing at Ottawa. But seems to be processed in 2-3 days itself. Not confirmed just my observation. Did you see others being approved or most people got 221?

What is your loomis update? Have you given them a call?

Please keep us informed on your progress! Hopefully you recieve e-mail confirmation tomorrow!

@nikisinhup

The window we went for interview, VO at that was finishing off with everyone very fast....so it seems to me that many others might have got 221g as well..

As we were returned our passports along with other docs by VO.. loomis is not in picture yet I believe :(

No update from consulate yet.

@siva2821 - Which date was your interview.. what questions asked and what email you got from consulate if you don't mind to share ??

• 2 weeks later...

@StuckinOttawaApr17

I am also stuck in Ottawa since 24th April along with one more friend. We both got 221g and waiting to hear from consulate. Did you get any update from consulate? my email in my profile. send a mail to me we can be in touch and update each other with the status and updates to track.

@StuckinOttawaApr17 and all others with 221g

My interview was on 8th April 2013 at Ottawa consulate. They took my Resume, I797 form and returned back my passport. I haven't heard anything from them yet :/

Is there anyone who has done their Masters from US and this was their first H1b stamping?

We can get in touch with each other (email in my profile)

• 2 weeks later...

@StuckinOttawaApr17

Pretty much the same case as you. Extension goes beyond 7 years and I-140 approved with the same company. Interview was on May 1, 2013. No docs asked. Just checked I-797's. Then asked for e-mail to reach me on. Issued 221(g) and said she'll get back in either 4-5 days, or could be couple of weeks or longer too. I asked what the problem might be, but was told there is no problem with the paperwork. So I have no clue what the 221(g) was issued for, possibly a background check?

@LGID_M13 -

Were you issued a Blue 221g or some other color..?

I am not aware of this.. but what does the color of 221g signify?

If we know about what the color signifies, then we might figure out what it is for.. a name check or a background check.

I don't understand still that why would it take this long..

Read some post mentioning that if extension was filed in Premium processing.. and if your status in USCIS website is not moved to Post Decision stage, then this could happen. Was your extension filed in premium ??

@StuckinOttawaApr17

I was issued a Blue 221g. blue is for administrative processing. If they asked for your resume, they are doing a TAL check on you. if no docs were asked, its anybody's guess. To answer your question, no my extension was NOT filed in premium processing. Hang in there buddy! And please post, the second you hear anything from them. If you don't mind sharing your phone/e-mail, please update on your profile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived