Jump to content


J2 to H1B for a spouse of J1 MD

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 midwest82



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Does anyone know if a spouse on J2 can apply for own H1B visa BEFORE J1 holder gets the waiver approved? Do I need to transfer into H4 status first? If so, I'd most likely miss on H1 for this year as the waiver won't be processed until late June (most likely)? Can I apply for H1 while the waiver petition is pending?

#2 Attorney_11


    Advanced Member

  • Attorney
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Typically, a J-2 nonimmigrant is not permitted to change status, apply for an H or L visa, or apply for immigrant visa/adjustment of status until the J-1 nonimmigrant's home residency requirement waiver is approved or the J-2 fulfills the home residency requirement. It is not typically possible to apply for a change of status in anticipation of a waiver approval. Also, current USCIS adjudication trends reflect that a former J-2, even after approval of the principal J-1's waiver of the home residency requirement to provide clinical medical services in a federally designated underserved area, is not permitted to change status to any status other than a H-4. It may be helpful to schedule a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to discuss this matter in greater personalized detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users