Does "administrative processing" in CEAC mean a 221G

startupjunkie

I am in a weird spot. I dropped off my application for H1b renewal in hyderabad based on the interview waiver program on the 9th of January. on 16th the status in CEAC changed as administrative processing.

Now, I wasnt sent an email or a notification or my passport back.

My question is - Does this mean i got a 221G ?

If you get a 221G what does it say in CEAC ? does it excplicitely mention 221g Administrative processing or just administrative processing?

I am in the EVC format with correct documentation.

I have the same issue except for the fact that i attended in person rather than the drop box. Even for me the status in CEAC appears to be admin processing. I was told by VISA OFFICER that my application has to go through administrative processing.

Let me know if you get any reply from the consulate. I will do the same too...

Thanks

I have the same issue except for the fact that i attended in person rather than the drop box. Even for me the status in CEAC appears to be admin processing. I was told by VISA OFFICER that my application has to go through administrative processing.

Let me know if you get any reply from the consulate. I will do the same too...

Thanks

did they give you your passport back? or any slip?

It does not necessarily mean 221G. ALL aprovals change to this status in CEAC website as soon as they are aprpoved, but then change to a status called "Issued" within 2-3 days. My guess is that they do some kind of verification like PIMS etc., (not 100% sure what they do)

My wife was in this status for a week, and we went crazy tryingt fi gure out what's going on. The VO told her during interview that it is approved, so we didn't know what to do.

But after a week, the status changed to Issued and she got her passport in next 2 days.

so do not panic. and be patient.

Hi

I went for Visa Stamping in Hyderabad on Jan 17th. VO said , Your Visa is Approved. But the status if in CEAC is showing as Administrative Processing. VO did not give any slip to me. She Just said "Your Visa is Approved. I am too confused as what this is?

Same thing happened to me for my Interview on 16th Jan. VO said your visa is approved and my status on CEAC says "Administrative Processing". I find it wierd. I think this is kind of 221(g) with white slip.

• 1 month later...

I am a Full-time employee and submitted my H1B extension through dropbox facility at Bangalore to the Chennai Consulate. My company is a global company with over 20000 employees. I only submitted my Passport, I797 copy, dropbox letter, DS160 Confirmation and a copy of the fee receipt. Here is the processing order:

March 4th - Submitted the application at dropbox facility at Bangalore Stanley Office.

March 5th Morning CEAC Online - Ready

March 5th Afternoon CEAC Online - Administrative Processing

March 6th Afternoon CEAC Online - Issued

The process was very smooth and I would recommend using the dropbox if you meet all the criteria.

Looks like the Admin Processing for a DropBox submission is a part of the normal cycle and not a 221g.

• 4 months later...

Not necessarily. I applied fro H1-B through the drop box. Infact, I asked my cousin to drop off my documents as I was not able to go to Mumbai. They only accepted my Passport, I-797A, the confirmation page, the drop box letter and probably the proof of payment. This is my experience:

Documents sumbitted: 04/07/2013

Case creation date on CEAC: 05/07/2013

Status on 08/07/2013: Administrative Processing

Status on 09/07/2013: Issued

• 1 year later...

My 2 cents on "Administrative Processing":

First and foremost, "Do NOT Panic" when you see your visa processing status going into "Administrative Processing". Every application goes through certain stages and statuses, irrespective of whether you appear for Personal Interview or use the Dropbox facility. 

Once your documents are received by the consulate, and processing starts for your visa, it goes into "Ready" status. Next starts the thorough review of the application, wherein all sorts of approvals are taken and documents reviewed for validity, such as security, passport expiration date, i797 validity etc. During this stage, the application status changes to "Administrative processing". If your case is simple and clear-cut and if you have provided all the required documents, then this stage usually gets cleared in 1-2 days. In case the VO wants some additional documents or wants to meet with you in person, then the same will be intimidated to you, and throughout this process the visa processing status remains in "Administrative processing". Once your visa is approved, the status changes to "Issued" or "Approved". 

I qualified for the Dropbox at New Delhi. Submitted my documents at the Team Stanley office in Nehru Place on Monday morning. Tuesday Morning the status was "Ready", and by evening it was "Administrative processing". The messages said that it will take several weeks, and that freaked me out. By Wednesday evening, the status changed to "Issued". And I collected my passport on Thursday. Although the message for Administrative processing says that it will take several weeks to process the application, but that's just a default message, and may not necessarily be applicable to your individual case. 

Wish you good luck with your visa processing !!

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys- I was in a similar situation recently and was worried that it was 221G. Fortunately It was not. My timeline for dropbox

7/28/2015- Dropped my Documents at Bangalore VFS

7/29/2015-Your Passport is scheduled to deliver to Post

7/30/2015- Your passport is delivered to Posy

7/31/2015-Your Passport is still with Embassy Consulate. CEAC status-Administrative Processing

8/1/2015(saturday)-Your Passport is still with Embassy Consulate. CEAC status-Administrative Processing

8/2/2015(sunday)-Your Passport is still with Embassy Consulate. CEAC status-Administrative Processing

8/3/2015- Your Passport is still with Embassy Consulate. CEAC status-Administrative Processing

8/4/2015-Your Passport is still with Embassy Consulate. CEAC status-Administrative Processing

8/4/2015(afternoon)- Your passport is ready for pickup, CEAC status- Issued

8/5/2015- Passport is ready for pickup

I picked up the passport on 8/7. I was really tensed when I saw that it was in Admin processing. I think it is the normal procedure for it to go to Admin processing

Good luck for others

• 7 months later...

Folks , Not to panic about administrative processing for dropbox . I was in the same position & the information in this thread gave confidence & waited cool till I received the visa.

17-Feb ( Wed) - Dropped passport & supporting docs at VFS

18-Feb (Thurs)- Sent to consulate.CEAC status "Administrative Processing"

19-Feb (Fri) -"Administrative Processing"

22-Feb (Mon) - "Administrative Processing"

23-Feb (Tues) - Issued ( status changed EOD )

24-Feb (Wed)- Received passport 

• 4 months later...

Today(08/04) Me with my wife and daughter appeared for H1B re stamping interview in Kolkata Consulate. After the interview VO told me your Visa is approved.
My daughter visa got issued today itself, but myself and wife visa is showing Administrative Processing. Really very tensed don't know what to do. VO didn't ask for any document or didn't provide any slip. In this normal, they do AP for all applications?

8/3 - Biometric
8/4 - Interview. VO told visa is approved.
8/4 - Daughter visa issued, mine and wife visa status is showing AP

Today(08/04) Me with my wife and daughter appeared for H1B re stamping interview in Kolkata Consulate. After the interview VO told me your Visa is approved.
My daughter visa got issued today itself, but myself and wife visa is showing Administrative Processing. Really very tensed don't know what to do. VO didn't ask for any document or didn't provide any slip. In this normal, they do AP for all applications?

8/3 - Biometric
8/4 - Interview. VO told visa is approved.
8/4 - Daughter visa issued, mine and wife visa status is showing AP

I dropped off my documents at the Chennai visa center on Mon, 18th Jul 2016. This is my 14th yr on H1b. Already have been through a couple of AP's previously. 1st took 4 months, 2nd took 1 week. Last visa stamping interview was in 2013 which went without any hassles. 

18 Jul 2016 - Docs submitted

19 Jul 2016 - Case Creation

21 Jul 2016 - Admin processing

25 Jul 2016 - Got call from Embassy to fill out travel history & employment history

26 Jul 2016 - Admin processing

No further updates since. What I thought to be a fairly straight forward process turned out be a headache this time around. Reached out to DOS and they clearly mentioned that I am going through 221(g) background security clearance. Would appreciate if you could share your experience, comments. Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

I too faced a similar situation when i saw administrative processing status in CEAC.  Please have patience. 

08/22 -   Docs Submitted

08/23 - Case Created

08/30 -  CEAC Administrative processing

08/31 - CEAC Administrative processing

09/01 - CEAC Issued (after 2 P.M IST)

Now waiting for the passport pick up email. Good luck to all who are waiting. 

My interview waiver program (IWP) experience for B1B2 visa in chennai. The whole process seems to be going well:

02 September 2016: case created. status updated to Ready

07 Sep 2016: status updated to Ready

08 Sep 2016: status updated to Administrative Processing 

09 sep 2016: status updated to Issued. I am waiting for the passport to be shipped.

My recent drop box case

Sep 6th - I have dropped My documents for US HYD consulate on Sep 6th 2016.

Sep 7th- File created

Sep 8th -I have received an email from HYDCEA@state.gov asking for my current I797 and Previous which i have already submitted along with other docs on 6th.

Dear Applicant:Please submit the scanned copies of current and previous I-797. This information is required for further processing of your nonimmigrant visa case.
Sincerely,

I have replied back to the same email the requested docs(PDF Format) wasn't sure if i did the right thing.

contacted support@ustraveldocs.com and finally got conformation that that's an accepted way to send docs.

Sep 9th - After a day the status show "Administrative Processing" . Said it might take several weeks. this status had me confused and frustrated. Next 3 days for Holidays.

Sep 13th  - Turned to issued ( 3 days holidays in between probably the reason for delay) - All set

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My husband is also in same weird situation. We both applies for dropbox on 1/8. My visa got approved on 11th but he received a blue slip asking to come in person for interview. He was then asked to go to medical and get his reports submitted by Apollo Chennai for further approval and was issued white slip too. We confirmed that the reports are submitted on 1/29 but still not updates. I notice lot of people mentioning about contacting consulate. please provide any contact details so that I can contact right place. 

Archived