32 replies to this topic

#1 myvisaquery

myvisaquery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

Is it mandatory to have health insurance in US, mean, is it illegal of not having health insurance.

Currently we couldnt afford, as we are in f2 student dependent.

How long one can stay without health insurance in US.

Is there any option for students.

US is having many rules, some times unknowingly we make small mistakes and it going to cost a lot, where I can find the rules mean, DO's and DON'T, legal or illegal.

#2 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

The university may require dependents of students to be insured. Students are usually required to have health insurance, and more and more universities require that for dependents as well. The student health office may have more info.
And the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, will require being insured.
The issue is, what would you do if you get injured? Who would pay for the hospital? Do you have any idea how expensive that is? Having health insurance is a necessity of modern life.

#3 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

It is not illegal but it is foolish - make that down right stupid - not to have it if available. many universities require it for students. Adding dependents is not that much more.

Basically, if you cannot afford health insurance on your dependents, your dependents should not be in the US because you cannot afford to have them here.

#4 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Oops, pressed the wrong button. Trying again...

It is not illegal but it is foolish - make that down right stupid - not to have it if available. many universities require it for students. Adding dependents is not that much more.

Actually, adding dependents to a student insurance plan may be problematic.
I do know that at the main public university system in California, the University of California, it was not possible until the university started handling the health insurance themselves, a few years back.
Before that, each campus negotiated a group plan with private insurers. And they didn't accept spouses, except with exorbitant rates. The issue was that this was basically negative selection: female spouses only wanted to sign up once they got pregnant. That kind of behavior of course kills any insurance. So, the insurer had a very high risk of losing money, and that's why they denied coverage for spouses of students. Now that UC handles all the health insurance stuff themselves, they have mandatory insurance for spouses, as far as I know.
Of course, it is indeed foolish to not get health insurance... But then, just take a look at the opposition to the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare. It is all stuff like "I'm young and healthy, I don't need health insurance" and similar brainless stuff... And a major political party actually supports that kind of thinking... Romney saying that people "can just go to the emergency room"...

#5 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Uninsured can get EMERGENCY care. However, much health care is not an emergency and does not qualify. Think of a life threatening but not emergency situation - cancer.

I am of the opinion the no one - visitor, student, guest worker - should be admitted to the US without compprehensive heath insurance for the entire duration of their stay.

#6 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Uninsured can get EMERGENCY care. However, much health care is not an emergency and does not qualify. Think of a life threatening but not emergency situation - cancer.

Yup. That's why Mr. Romney's comment was completely inappropriate and simply wrong.
Having health insurance is very important, not just for foreigners coming to the US as visitor, student or guest worker, but also for Americans.

#7 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

I am of the opinion the no one - visitor, student, guest worker - should be admitted to the US without compprehensive heath insurance for the entire duration of their stay.

A rare occassion where I agree with you . But than, you , as a Citizen, should ask your Government/Insurance companies to come up with a product like that. At this point, a comprehensive health insurance does not exist for Visitors .

#8 cowboys26

cowboys26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yup. That's why Mr. Romney's comment was completely inappropriate and simply wrong.
Having health insurance is very important, not just for foreigners coming to the US as visitor, student or guest worker, but also for Americans.

Yes hes been on both sides on every important issue . On one hand he is proud to be grand father of Obama care but says he doesnt want it at a federal level . Covering everyone like you suggest is impossible without the mandate.

#9 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

chakrakr,

Why should the US government be required to sponsor health insurance for guests? If such a product were required, it is doubtful most older individuals could afford to visit for the length of time they do now. At one time comprehensive health insurance in the high risk pool in my state was $4,000 per MONTH for older women.

A better option is to for foreign nationals to purchase emergency care and medevac home.

#10 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

chakrakr,

Why should the US government be required to sponsor health insurance for guests? If such a product were required, it is doubtful most older individuals could afford to visit for the length of time they do now. At one time comprehensive health insurance in the high risk pool in my state was $4,000 per MONTH for older women.

A better option is to for foreign nationals to purchase emergency care and medevac home.

You seem to have some difficulty understanding English . This is what I said "you , as a Citizen, should ask your Government/Insurance companies to come up with a product like that." . That means make a product like that available for purchase . I never mentioned anything about "sponsoring".

You said that all visitors must have " compprehensive heath insurance" and my point is, a " compprehensive heath insurance" for visitors is not available. Price comes later but a product like that DOES NOT EXIST.

You now seem to be changing your tune asking for a "emergency care and medevac" which is DIFFERENT than a "compprehensive heath insurance"

#11 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

You seem to have some difficulty understanding English . This is what I said "you , as a Citizen, should ask your Government/Insurance companies to come up with a product like that." . That means make a product like that available for purchase .

Why should the US government come up with something like that?
It is your requirement as visitor to ensure that you don't use US public aid, e.g., if you don't have health insurance.
Visitors are very well able today to buy health insurance for travel. there are lots of health insurance companies that offer such insurance.

#12 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

As a citizen, I want the free market to come up with a product but I want the government to dictate that NO ONE can voluntarily enter the US without health insurance coverage that would prevent any unreimbursed care in hospitals or doctors' offices.

Since comprehensive health insurance - especially for the elderly - is prohibitively expensive, the combination of emergency insurance and medivac to the home country is an alternative.

You obviously have not spent hours waiting in an ER and paid a hospital bill lately - I have and it isn't fun and much of the cost is due to unreimbused care provided to the uninsured.

#13 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Why should the US government come up with something like that?
It is your requirement as visitor to ensure that you don't use US public aid, e.g., if you don't have health insurance.
Visitors are very well able today to buy health insurance for travel. there are lots of health insurance companies that offer such insurance.

There is NOT a single insurance which provides "comprehensive health insurance" for visitors. That is what t75 wanted. There are enough which offers "Emergency Health Plan" . If you think there are "lots of health insurance companies" that offer "compehensive health plan" for visitors cite just ONE.

#14 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

As a citizen, I want the free market to come up with a product

I am with you ... but since you are the one that is asking you should take the initiative . right now there is NO such "comprehensive plan" available for tourists.

but I want the government to dictate that NO ONE can voluntarily enter the US without health insurance coverage that would prevent any unreimbursed care in hospitals or doctors' offices.

Sure. But unless you have a product like that , you can do it much easily. Stop issuing Visitors Visa to anybody. Because no one on earth can buy a non existing product. Again , you talked about "comprehensive Health insurance" and NOT "emergency health plan"

Since comprehensive health insurance - especially for the elderly - is prohibitively expensive, the combination of emergency insurance and medivac to the home country is an alternative.

"Comprehensive health insurance" does not exist for tourists -- not even at a prohibitively expensive rate.

You obviously have not spent hours waiting in an ER and paid a hospital bill lately - I have and it isn't fun and much of the cost is due to unreimbused care provided to the uninsured.

I have decent insurance but I can feel your pain . Get Medicaid

#15 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

There is NOT a single insurance which provides "comprehensive health insurance" for visitors. That is what t75 wanted. There are enough which offers "Emergency Health Plan" . If you think there are "lots of health insurance companies" that offer "compehensive health plan" for visitors cite just ONE.

Western European health insurance companies offer quite comprehensive health insurance coverage for travelers from Western Europe...
You may want to educate yourself about that.

#16 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Western European health insurance companies offer quite comprehensive health insurance coverage for travelers from Western Europe...
You may want to educate yourself about that.

Why don't you provide name of one such insurance. I did check for a few which claim to offer "comprehensive" coverage but the devil is in the detail --- all of those exclude pre-existing condition (or limits reimbursement for pre-existing to something like $15K which will not cover even a minor surgery). So essentially these are "Emergency Medical Insurance " .
I am yet to see something equivalent to health insurance we get in US .

While there still might be one or two country where such product are available (I doubt though) , it is limited to only citizens of that country. For most people accross the globe, a "comprehensive Health Insurance" is not available for purchase.

t75 is blaming peope for not buying a product which does not exist

#17 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Why don't you provide name of one such insurance.

I had such insurance myself when I visited the US before I got my H1.
As that was some 20 years ago, I don't remember the name of the insurance company.

#18 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

I had such insurance myself when I visited the US before I got my H1.
As that was some 20 years ago, I don't remember the name of the insurance company.

20 years is a long time. At this point , no one could point to a product t75 is asking people to buy . That is all this is about .

#19 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

20 years is a long time.

Things haven't changed. Western European insurance companies continue to offer travelers insurance.
It is not my problem if you are unable to find such things. Europeans find it just fine.

#20 chakrakr

chakrakr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Things haven't changed. Western European insurance companies continue to offer travelers insurance.
It is not my problem if you are unable to find such things. Europeans find it just fine.

In case you could not understand , t75 wanted a comprehensive insurance and NOT travelers insurance . And if there is something like that I suggest you put down the name instead of just posting "I am right". You are yet to come up with a SINGLE name.

As I said , my googling shows that such travelers insurance offered by European companies DO NOT cover pre-existing conditions (or very limited coverage for pre-existing) much like any standard Emergency Medical insurance --- far from something called comprehensive insurance

And if there is a product like that (you are yet to prove though) for Europeans then probably next you and your cohort t75 will suggest that only Europeans should be issued US Visa ! I will not be surprised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users