Do I need to get my H1B VISA stamped again if I change my employer?

Hi,

Reply from "pontevecchio" shows for the people who changes employer in USA itself.

My Doubts are:

I have a H1B petition and Visa both valid till 30.09.2013. And now i got an offer from a company which is in USA. I got a new petition also. I have never used my current visa. (I am changing directly to USA company without using my current visa). My Visa is valid for two more months only.

Can I travel with current visa and new petition like normally people change job in USA??

If I go for new stamping what are the risks involved??

If I travel with old visa when should I apply for extension??

Should I keep any validity in visa before applying for extension??

I got this doubt because I have never travelled to USA and changing job directly to USA. Your suggestion are welcome

Hi RAK2013,

What was ur experience with re stamping, do u go for re stamping or using company A stamp is fine for entering us for travel.

I am asking this question particularly for Person who never traveled to US and transferring visa to company A to B.

Thanks is advance

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I just wanted to check if there is any change in the policy.

My wife has went to India. Her H4 is stamped with my previous employer and is valid until 2017.

When I contacted my new employer, they told that its better to get the stamping done again.

I am confused and worried. Can someone please confirm, if it is fine to come US without new stamping.

Hi,

I just wanted to check if there is any change in the policy.

My wife has went to India. Her H4 is stamped with my previous employer and is valid until 2017.

When I contacted my new employer, they told that its better to get the stamping done again.

I am confused and worried. Can someone please confirm, if it is fine to come US without new stamping.

No need for a H4 visa stamping. She can travel back with her existing valid H4 visa and a copy of your new employer's I797.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a valid visa on passport for old employer till Sep 18, 2015 and my petition is approved as consular notification without I-94 attached to it.
Can i go to Mexico and turn around and re-enter in to USA using the old valid visa and new I-797 approval till June 2016 without going for stamping.

Also should i ask for new I-94 at POE as per the new I-797 approval if i can go?

Appreciate your help!!
Thanks
KM

• 1 year later...

This Post being very useful for me, but i didn't came across any situation like mine.

I have a Valid Visa from Previous Employer 'A' till Aug 2017 on my Expired  indian passport. I have changed to Employer 'B' with a New End Client and have an Approved i797 notice for Employer 'B' valid until 2019. I also have New Indian passport issued (obviously it doesn't have any h1B stamp on it).

My Question is : Can i travel in feb 2017 for a month on my previous employer valid Visa which is on expired passport? 

or do i need to go for H1 Re-stamping on my new passport.

Edited by Jai87
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

This thread is really helpful for couple of years now. I just wanted to know if there is any change in policy.

My Question - I transferred my H1-B from Employer A to Employer B. My visa on passport is stamped till Jul,2018 from previous Employer(A). After H1-B is transferred, my I-797A notice shows validity from Oct,2016 to Oct,2017. Am travelling to India by May,2017 and return on June,2017. While returning to USA, do I need to get my passport re-stamped with current Employer's(B) details?

Edited by NAGARAJESH
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am on H1B visa, I have question regarding my Travel to India and come back to USA.

I was working with Employer A from dec 2012 till Oct 2016

During this time I went to Mumbai, India in Nov 2015 and did the H1B visa stamping and visa get stamped till July 2018 ON passport H1B stamp the PN: details with employer A . Come back to USA in dec 2015.

I switched the job and joined the full time Employer B in Oct 2016 and new I-797 approval notice approved till July 2019. Meanwhile my previous Employer A revoked my h1B <i129>petition.

Now I have to travel to India in month May and will come back in June 2017.

My question is –

1.   Do I need to go to H1B Visa Stamping in India?

or

2.   Can I come back to USA with previous stamped h1 visa  < even when previous employer revoked the i129 application> and with new 797 approval ?

Same situation is for my wife, She is on H4 Visa.

During our last India visit Nov 2015. She also get her visa stamped along with me for H4. Her passport also get visa stamped till July 2018.

While I switched the job, her new 797 <I539 application> also approved till July 2019.

Now we have plan to travel to India in month May and coming back in June 2017.

My question is –

1.   Does my wife need to go for visa stamping in India ?

or

2.   Can she came back to USA with her previous stamped H4 Visa and new i797 approval notice?

Found below in link à

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#qlistwork13

Appreciate your response.

Edited by Worker_H1B
  • 7 months later...

First of all, thank you so much Murthy Law Firm to help us.

This thread is really useful to so many people facing this situation.

Even i am facing the same situation, Recently transferred my H1B visa to Company B but my Visa stamping done through Company A and valid up to 2019. I am planing to go india on Feb 2018, will it be mandatory go for stamping when i return back to USA on Feb 2018.

Few friends saying, its mandatory to go for stamping and few of them saying its not required to go for stamping if you have valid visa. Really confusing.

Recently did any changes happens in the Law on this situations, is it mandatory go for stamping if we transfer to different employer every time.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Raghavednra

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Does anyone know of any government document that explicitly states that there’s no need to obtain a new visa stamp to reenter the US after transitioning from employer A to employer B through an H1-B transfer (assuming the visa stamp is still valid)?

My visa stamp (issued by employer A) expires in 2021 and my I-94 admin until date is also in 2021. I recently transferred to company B (through an H1B transfer) and have plans to travel internationally in 2 months. This post mentions that I do not need to get a new visa stamp to reenter the US but would like to know the source of the information, if possible.

Thanks,