221 g Yellow slip and how much time for processing

hola

Hi,

I posted my experience before and just wanted to get some clarifications. Like i was issued a 221g yellow slip stating Necessary Administrative processing.

When asked i submitted all the requested documents. And when i emailed them about the status, i got a standard response which is below :

Action on your application for a nonimmigrant visa (NIV) is suspended under section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended, for further administrative review by the Department of State.

We will inform you of the results of this additional administrative review by email as soon as it is completed. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any additional information on the status of your visa application at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

U.S. Consulate General Toronto

Does anyone of you know with the above situation, how much time should i expect for processing. Because i was told at the time of interview by VO that it should take 1 or 2 weeks for process completion. Please help, this is really frustrating..

Any inputs will be considered as great help.

Thanks

Shujath

Hi Shujath,

Sorry to hear that 221g. It depends on the case by case. I would like to ask you what colour of 221g form did you get ? I mean Yellow/Blue/Green etc. and also did visa officer wrote the details for "Batch: 99" and "Date: Date when you attend" in the 221g form ?

Ans: If the Visa Officer mentioned the Batch and Date details..it will takes max 3 to 4 weeks and also depends on your Case. I have mentioned below what type of Cases are getting successful visa's or case which are getting hard time/rejecting.

I believe they might have asked you to submit some documents ? please submit immediately...so it will be good for you.

Normal 221g process they might check only any one or ALL of the following...that also depends on the case.

a. Your Employer background which including how they are paying taxes, how many people are working in each tax year/quarter and how they following the H1B's and LCA etc..

b. Your details....how you are working at the client location like ...Employer-Vendor-Client OR Employer-Client model & What is your prior experience in USA before this employer etc..

c. Are you/Employer following the USCIS standards to supporting the H1B rules and regulations etc.

I strongly believe now a days they are issuing VISA ONLY for the following cases.

1. If you done MS in USA and working on H1B with good/OK company that has decent background of payroll/tax/administrative standards.

2. Your H1B petitioner is a client or well noted primary vendor like **********, ****************, ***************, *****, etc..

3. If you are working on E-V-C model with good company/primary vendor with all supporting letters and you have good background of payroll/tax/experience etc..(If you are in this category...you will get VISA after sometime (3 weeks to 3 months) even though you got 221g)

4. If are coming H1B stamping for 1st time OR 2nd extension...(I mean to say You are not completed almost or completed 6 years in H1B and came for stamping after 6 years extenion.)

They are issuing 221g for the cases (maximum cases I have seen) who are in the following category and giving very hard time to issue VISA.

• If You are working on Employer-Vendor1-Vendor2-Client
  • If your Employer is not good/blocklisted/not properly maintaining the petition standars/tax/wages/having more gaps on jobs etc.
  • If you are not working on proper USCIS H1B standards like LCA, Client/Vendor letters, Good Tax returns, Petition documentation

Please understand the each case and ready to provide any kind of documentation if you are in good category.

All the best.

Bala

Hi Bala,

Thanks for the detail message. However i have the answer for your question. Pls see below

i got 221g Yellow slip and VO didn't put any Batch # but however he stamped ( American Consulate General, Toronto Canada with interview date ) on the slip along with the Applicant name.

Moreover am on EC model, working with my company since 2 yrs. And i have MS degree from US as well.

Not sure what made the VO to issue 221g to me. Anyways any help to above answers will of great help again.

Thanks,

Shujath

• 2 months later...

I appeared for visa interview at Toronto Consulate for L1-B blanket visa and interview was good. Then after few minutes visa officer told me that everything is ok with your application but they need additional time to process my application and gave me 221(G)yellow form with interview date, my last name and batch number. Not sure is it because of my name, same things happened to me in 2009 and got my visa in india after 2 months. Not sure how much time it will take, but VO told me in another 2-3 weeks then will send me an email to send my passport for stamping...

• 1 month later...

I appeared for visa interview in toronto on sep 4. I work directly for my employer. VO told me she's recommending for visa but will need admin processing. I was given a yellow 221g with batch number and visa date and asked to wait 3 weeks for their email. Its been less than a week and haven't heard anything. I have MS degree in US and my 6 yrs of h1 end 2011, I went for 3 yrs h1 ext because I already have my i-140.

Anyone received any response in the said 3 weeks timeframe ?

• 5 weeks later...

I got the email from US Consulate Toronto to submit my passport for stamping on 9th Oct 2012, I submitted my passport to loomis and reached US Consulate Toronto on 10th Oct 2012. Today 15th Oct 2012 I got the below email. I replied them keep the passport as long as consulate want, I don't need it :)

I hope this helps others... I suggest if you are coming to Canada just for applying US Visa I suggest apply in your home country especially folks with sensitive names... like me :)

-----------------------------------------

Dear: Applicant and family

Subsequent to our previous contact with you, our office discovered that your application requires further administrative processing under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended (INA). Accordingly, please advise by return email to trtniv@state.gov if you wish us to return your passport to you so that you may continue with any other travel plans outside of Canada in the interim. Please be assured that we will notify you again as soon as we receive a response indicating that we may issue a visa to you.

Please understand that the INA makes the applicant, and not the U.S. government, solely responsible for qualifying for a visa in time to suit his/her needs. We can offer no prior assurance of eligibility to any applicant for any reason at any time.

• 1 month later...

@aftab2v2g

Something similar happened to me.

I had appeared for H1B visa from Vancouver consulate in January 2012. I was issued a 221g white form. I took my passport and went back to India. I received an email after 10.5 months from Vancouver Consulate to come back to Canada and submit the passport for visa stamp. I did submitted the passport a week back and they put my case again in Admin Processing. Not sure how much longer this second admin processing will go.

Did you receive any update yet?

• 1 month later...

My Case is almost similar with little twist, We had L1B/L2 interview with Toronto US consulate on 12 Dec 2012, Everything went well and the consular told that " We are recommending your visa for approval and the passport will reach you by 4-5 days". Happiest moment, but that didn't last long on the 6th day i got a mail from US Embassy asking me to submit a document to further process the visa application. This was a big shock to us since we were expecting the passports with Visa stamps. I never received any color slip during interview.

We finally send the required document to the Embassy. I heard from my client manager that after two weeks submitting the documents they had called him for asking the clarification. It has been one week now, i had send a mail asking the status , i got the same reply as Hola got.

Please let me know how long will it take to process. Did any one get the visa stamped ?

• 2 months later...

Aftab2v2g

Any updates on your case? Did you end up getting visa and how long did it take.

I got the email from US Consulate Toronto to submit my passport for stamping on 9th Oct 2012, I submitted my passport to loomis and reached US Consulate Toronto on 10th Oct 2012. Today 15th Oct 2012 I got the below email. I replied them keep the passport as long as consulate want, I don't need it :)

I hope this helps others... I suggest if you are coming to Canada just for applying US Visa I suggest apply in your home country especially folks with sensitive names... like me :)

-----------------------------------------

Dear: Applicant and family

Subsequent to our previous contact with you, our office discovered that your application requires further administrative processing under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended (INA). Accordingly, please advise by return email to trtniv@state.gov if you wish us to return your passport to you so that you may continue with any other travel plans outside of Canada in the interim. Please be assured that we will notify you again as soon as we receive a response indicating that we may issue a visa to you.

Please understand that the INA makes the applicant, and not the U.S. government, solely responsible for qualifying for a visa in time to suit his/her needs. We can offer no prior assurance of eligibility to any applicant for any reason at any time.

• 1 month later...

hi i m sandeep singh and i just had an interview for the b1/b2 visa on 8th march 2013 for USA and they had given me the notice of suspension and then they told me like they will let me know about the result of my visa through email but i haven't receive an email yet.

Your application for a nonimmigrant visa (NIV) has been refused under section 221g of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended, (INA) for further review by the U.S. government (USG). We have no control over the pace or scope of this review. Unfortunately, it remains unfinished.

Please be assured that as soon as we learn that your review is finished we will inform you by email. Please retain the notice of suspension TRT/NIV-13(A) that you received during your interview and all supporting documents related to your application. You must be prepared to resubmit them on our request.

Please understand that U.S. law makes the applicant, and not the U.S. government, solely responsible for qualifying for a visa in time to suit his/her needs. We can offer no prior assurance of eligibility to any applicant for any reason at any time. Thank you very much for your understanding and patience.

i have not received any notice from them, now what should i do ?

Archived