Early biometric walk in experience in Chicago (S Pulaski ASC)

Immigrant2010

My wife and I filed our I-485 under EB-2/IN category in January. We have already received our EAD/AP combo card, but there is no progress on the AOS. The online status only shows "acceptance".

After a long wait, the FP notice arrived last week with biometric appointment set for March 28, 2012. However, in light of recent news that EB-2 might retrogress again in May/June, I wanted to save a few days. So I decided to try and walk into the USCIS service center today.

Our appointment was for the ASC located at 5160 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, IL 60632. I went with my wife and son (US citizen) at 8 am today. We took our respective appointment letters and drivers licenses. I saw a lot of people waiting in the receoption area that early in the morning, so I didn't have much hope. Nonetheless, I told the receptionist that our appointment was for the next week, but we were trying to see if they could accommodate us today. The receptionist went into the supervisor's office with our letters and came out a minute later saying we would need to return after 1:30 pm today.

We went back in the afternoon as instructed, and the whole process lasted just fifteen minutes! The receptionist recognized us, gave us a form to fill, stamped our appointment letter, and put us in the line (with just three people ahead of us). Both she and the biometric technician were very courteous and efficient. The picture-taking and fingerprinting went smoothly and we were out of the office by 1:45 pm. So, in all, a very good experience!

My suggestion to anybody trying an early walk-in at the S Pulaski location in Chicago is go at 1:30 pm and talk nicely with the front desk person, giving some justification for your early visit. You shouldn't have any problems.

Now if I receive my GC before the dates retrogress then saving a week would be really worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived