Canada visa stamping in LA

alladi333

Hello All,

I would like to share my Canada visa process, documents required and stamping experience.

As everyone, I started looking for process to apply for Canada visa in US, But could not find any appropriate post with all the details, you can say to look at the Canada consulate website for the information.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

But I was looking for some detailed personal experience. Here I try to give you everything I did to get my Canada visa. To start with it is a simple and easy process, No need to worry about denials or some sort of delay (As long as you are not involved in any sort of misdemeanor/felony :).)

Myself:

I came to US to do my Master's and now I am on H1B and going for my visa stamping to Canada, for which I need to get Canada visa at first. You can apply for a Canada visa even long before you plan to go for stamping, as a legal resident aliens it is not an issue to get Canda visa in US. I would suggest, anyone who wants to go to Canada for stamping in the future, to go head and apply Canada visa now, I was planning to go for stamping since 1 year, I should have got my Canada visa long back, But with out proper information, I just delayed the process. Any how past is past lets get to the point.

Documents which I sumitted:

1. Passport /I797 (Original) :)

2. Bank statements to show we have enough money required for the trip, I submitted last six months notarized statements (You can ask your bank to provide a notarized copy of statements.), One of my friend has provided only recent three month's statements with out any question they were accepted.

3. $150/$75 for multiple/single entry visa (Depends on the Consulate where you apply)

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/assets/pdfs/visas/50_1_eng.pdf

you can get a money order (sign it) or cashiers check payable to "Consulate genral of Canada", I have opted for Multiple entry visa, as things are uncertain about the visa stamping, I would suggest to go for multiple entry visa, I heard this from my friend, depending on the Consulate you apply, your multiple entry will be for one year term or till your passport expiry date, mine was at LA Consulate, I got it till my passport expiry date. :)

4. copy of itinery (not manadatory if you are not sure or if you have not yet planned your trip).

5. Application forms that needs to be filled and to be carried with you.

IMM 5257, is all about your information. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5257E.PDF

**Make sure you validate this document after completing it, which generates a barcode page and put that barcode page on top of your documents, If you make any changes after validation, you have to validate it again. One of the applicants before me, did not validate the document, the lady who was verifying the the documents asked him to get it validated and come back with barcode page, It is helpful, It will tell if you have missed anything.**

Few uestions where you may stumble:

1) Should I request multiple or single entry visa?
I would suggest multiple entry

2) Purpose of my Visit?
I have selected other and mentioned H1B stamping and Tourism

3) Indicate how long you plan to stay?
Mention approximate dates.

4) Funds available for my stay(CAD) - How much do I need to show if I want to stay for a week and how to show the proof of funds? I
have mentioned $6000 US, But my friend has mentioned $4000US, as far as I know they look for the pay you get, Doesn't mean you can have $0 balance.

5) Name, Address and relationship of any person(s) or institution(s) I will visit?
Mention here if you have any friends or relatives or you can mention US consulate in "Place you go for stamping" and the address.

**Post any additional questions you have about this form, so that everyone knows about them.

IMM 5645E, is about your family members, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5645E.PDF

it is self explanatory, enter all your family member's details and sign it even if they are not accompanying you.

I don't know why they need this, but the person who verified my documents and saperated this form from rest of my documents, But anyhow we have to submit this form.

IMM5484E, Document check list, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.PDF

Check the documents you are submitting and include it with your documents.

6. 2 photographs with following specifications (Most frustrating part)

Photograph and head size specifications:

The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″).

The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.

The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 1/4″) and 36 mm (1 7/16″).

Crown means the top of the head or (if obscured by hair or a head covering) where the top of the head or skull would be if it could be seen.

If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.

You cannot get this size in most of the places, I suggest look for any local photographers and show the specifications mentioned in the link below.they cut your photo according to the dimensions mentioned in the link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs.asp.

or you can goto this site (http://www.epassportphoto.com/), upload your photo and select appropriate options and print the photo at walmart or some other place.

**you photo is not used on the Visa stamp, It is for their records.

7. Employer letter.

8. Last six month's paystubs.

At Consulate:

I was at the consulate by 8:40 AM, they open at 8:30 AM and be available till 10:30 AM for in person submissions and they do have dropbox as well for after hours submission (Look for the timings for the consulate you are visiting). You will be asked to turn of your mobile and will go through security check after the security check you will get a token and wait till you number is displayed, when you get your turn, Go the window and give all your documents, the person there will check all the documents you submitted and ask if they need any additional documents, After initial verification you will be given a small green colored slip with a number on it and when to pickup your passport and ask you to take a seat, then they send yur documents to second review and with in 5 to 10 minues you will be asked to leave if everything is good to go or request any addiional documents (doesn't happen if you submit all the above mentioned documents), It was no more than 30 minutes for me and my friend after entering the Cosulate. But try to be there early.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions.asp

On the day of pick up:

At LA Consulate you will be asked to come back next day for the passport between 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.

Same security check happens and you have to form a line and show the green slip which was given to you on the day of submission and collect all you documents.

Make sure you check if you have your I797, they did not give my friends I797, He had to go back to the counter and ask again and then they have checkd and bought it back to him.

People at the cosulate were very helpful, If you have any question ask them, Do not Hesitate, Their job is to help you!

I Hope this post is helpful for many of you looking for Canada visa, Let me know If I have missed any thing or If you have any questions.

**All the above mentioned information is my experience.

helpful post:

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/29509-how-to-apply-for-canada-visiting-visa/

Good luck!

Thank you for taking time and writing such a detailed information, I am using this post to cross check with my paper work. I am planning to attend on wednesday March 14, one confusion I have now is that , is it mandatory to only take Notarized bank statements or will the statement that we download via the bank site work ?

Thank you for taking time and writing such a detailed information, I am using this post to cross check with my paper work. I am planning to attend on wednesday March 14, one confusion I have now is that , is it mandatory to only take Notarized bank statements or will the statement that we download via the bank site work ?

Not necessary, As I mentioned about my friend who submitted recent three non-notorized bank statements.

• 5 weeks later...

You can mail them your documents (mentioned in my earlier post) or there are visa services, whom you can approach for the Canadian visa (Google, Canadian visa services).

Hey southwest, I don't see any Canadian consulate near my work place. Is there any alternative for getting visa without visiting the consulate?

1.Do we need to submit the form "application for a temporary resident visa made outside Canada" ( i.e. IMM5257B)

Yes, Link to the form in my original post.(http://www.cic.gc.ca...ms/IMM5257E.PDF)

2.Do we need to submit the original I-797?

I have submitted my original I-797 for in-person visa, but not sure about mail application.

Good luck!

There are two forms for "application for a temporary resident visa made outside Canada"

1.IMM5257B_1

2.IMM5257E

Do I need to fill both of them or just IMM5257E. In the check list it was mentioned to fill IMM5257E and IMM5257B only if applicable. But how do I know whether IMM5257B is applicable or not?

There are two forms for "application for a temporary resident visa made outside Canada"

1.IMM5257B_1

2.IMM5257E

Do I need to fill both of them or just IMM5257E. In the check list it was mentioned to fill IMM5257E and IMM5257B only if applicable. But how do I know whether IMM5257B is applicable or not?

Rahul,

Just these forms below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.PDF

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5257E.PDF

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5645E.PDF

Just to add to Southwest's tips, please make sure you click on the "Validate" button on the top of the online visa application and check to see if the last page of the application has a bunch of barcodes on it... I did not click on that and had to go through a mad rush to apply within the 10:30am deadline...

Contrary to southwest's document list, I submitted the following for my multiple-entry Canada visa:

1) Passport

2) computer print out of my last 4 months' bank statement (although 4 months, it showed a substantial amount in activity) I personally made sure to pick the account where my company credits my salary. I don't usually keep >$3500 in there and that's what the statement showed

3) My DS-160 confirmation page and screenshots of the website showing available dates in the Calgary & Ottawa consulates

4) I also typed up a personal cover letter explaining why I wanted to visit Canada and why I wanted a multiple-entry rather than a single-entry

I forgot to take the original I-797 from my employer and I couldn't find the photocopy but I had the I-94 (bottom part of the I-797) and submitted that instead. I did not take this visa application seriously, to be honest (as you can see from my list of documents submitted). I got the visa & picked up my passport the following day by 11am. What might have helped is that I had a previously expired (2008-2010) multiple-entry Canadian visa in my passport...

Frankly, when we're preparing for the H1-B visa interview, getting/applying for a Canadian visa shouldn't be a big deal... Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional information from one of my friend.

1) I797 original not needed (I 797 is just a supporting document. I feel Canada does not care what you are in US :)). For some reason, I was not comfortable sending I797.. also, I said to you about want Puli informed me.

2) multiple entry validity will be

The maximum validity date for multiple entry visitor visas is up to five (5) years or one month prior to the expiry date on the passport/re-entry visa, whichever is earlier.

(source: http://www.**********************)

3) Another important link for LA consulate

http://www.canadaint...lang=eng&view=d

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Southwest -

You said - "No need to worry about denials or some sort of delay (As long as you are not involved in any sort of misdemeanor/felony :).)"

Does having a misdemeanor really create a problem for the multiple-entry TRV? I have been arrested in 2009 in Dallas, TX for Misdemeantor B and the case was finally dismissed as I did community service and it was reduced to Misdemeanor C.

I have been on the lookout for any information regarding this but with not much success. It would be really helpful if you can share you ideas about this.

@Southwest -

You said - "No need to worry about denials or some sort of delay (As long as you are not involved in any sort of misdemeanor/felony :).)"

Does having a misdemeanor really create a problem for the multiple-entry TRV? I have been arrested in 2009 in Dallas, TX for Misdemeantor B and the case was finally dismissed as I did community service and it was reduced to Misdemeanor C.

I have been on the lookout for any information regarding this but with not much success. It would be really helpful if you can share you ideas about this.

Sorry for the late reply, I have read somewhere online. But not sure about any issues with Canada visa in your case.

I would ask a immigration attorney in your case.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does it take only a day to get the passport back with visa??

I am planning to visit canada in end of october and havent applied for canada visa yet.

Do you think I can get canadian visit visa before october end if I try to apply by next week.

hi ...i went to la consulate with all documents listed on 24th......they returned my original I797..took photocopy...no questions are asked..i was asked to come back on 25th afternoon..i went on 25th n collected my passport..........

• 3 weeks later...

i mailed all the documents to LA consulate and they received it on Oct 9 but I haven't received my visa back yet. Its already been a week. I even mailed them a priority mail envelope to mail me back the visa. I am just little tensed as I have already booked my tickets to canda for Oct 28. Is there any way I can track the status of my visa.

i mailed all the documents to LA consulate and they received it on Oct 9 but I haven't received my visa back yet. Its already been a week. I even mailed them a priority mail envelope to mail me back the visa. I am just little tensed as I have already booked my tickets to canda for Oct 28. Is there any way I can track the status of my visa.

Website says 20business days to process an application. How can you expect it within one week?

Moreover these days , consulates are receiving high volume of applications and can expect delay in processing.

Is there any way to expedite the TRV application. If I visit the consulate and ask them to process my already mailed application, will they do it.

Website says 20business days to process an application. How can you expect it within one week?

Moreover these days , consulates are receiving high volume of applications and can expect delay in processing.

Archived